Why become a member? ×

Carvin Kit - ordered

wmsheep

OK, so I took the first step in building a kit bass today, and have ordered a [url="http://www.carvinworld.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=BK4&CID=BKT"]Carvin BK4a kit.[/url]

Yes, I did look at other kits (ie the Thomann kit and the various other "Saga" style P bass kits out there, and stuff from Warmoth, WDMusic etc), but in the end it mainly came down to something my grandfather instilled into me - "Always buy the best possible". Of course, there were other factors taken into consideration, the main ones being availability of support from the supplier/manufacturer of the kit, and support/advice from other builders; Carvin ticks these boxes very nicely as they have a good healthy community on their builders forum.

So, all I have to do is to wait for the kit to be delivered - the guys at [url="http://www.rockstarguitar.co.uk/"]Rockstar Guitar[/url] have been great with helping me order the kit, and they reckon that it`ll be here in about 4 weeks (yeah, I know how things work, so I`m thinking closer to 8 weeks if not more - any earlier will be a bonus)*.

Of course, there will be some more money to be spent on finishing products as I`m not getting any finish on the delivered bass at all; I`m thinking about a tung oil finish on the neck and a polyurethane varnish for the body, tho` this might well change as ideas flit in and out of my head.

Mark

*= had an email from Rockstar guitars this evening confirming the order with me, and confirming the order with Carvin - it`s gonna be 6 to 8 weeks.

Edited by wmsheep