Why become a member? ×

Converting a CryBaby into an expression pedal

GarethFlatlands

I've got an old CryBaby hanging around and was wondering if it would be possible to modify it into being used as an expression pedal for my M5. The Mission Control pedals seem to use similar housings as seen here:-

[url="http://www.mission-engineering.com/Mission-Engineering/Products.html"]http://www.mission-engineering.com/Mission...g/Products.html[/url]

Any thoughts about what it would involve before I take apart the wah and potentially ruin it? Parts I'd need, that kind of thing?

Right, done a bit of reading and it looks like the Line 6 EX-1 uses a 10k linear pot. Having a fidget around with the pedal and a few pots I had sitting in a box, I reckon a standard lin 22k pot would work given that the pot moves through about 80-85% of a full rotation and the wah seems to do approx 50%. That's probably as accurate as I'm going to get with stock value pots, although some reading around shows 20k pots work as well so it shouldn't be a massive problem.

Assuming the cylinder with the teeth comes off the old pot shaft and goes onto the new one alright, it should be straightforward to wire it up to a mono jack. Remove and store all the old insides, try and find some screws which mean I can ditch the feet and velcro it to my board and I'll be sorted. Updates (with pictures hopefully for the curious or bored) at some point.