Why become a member? ×

Amp wiring...

Eight

Quick question for you: I've just repaired some minor damage to an old combo with the intention of passing it on. The recipient may well be reading this and is probably going to get a bit worried. :)

I've noticed that the earth wire from the mains plug isn't actually connected anywhere. It's just lolling around free as a bird. That doesn't seem right to me, but I'm not sure. I have actually played through the amp and didn't die - but should I go in and connect this to something?

[quote name='icastle' post='1235906' date='May 18 2011, 04:11 PM']Yes.
That green and yellow scrap of wire is potentially the only thing between you and disaster![/quote]
That what I was worried about... better connect it to the chassis then. :)

Cheers mate.

I'm getting really paranoid about this now. To the point of testing all my other gear...

Anyway, upon further investigation, it appears the earth wire was originally secured to the metal around the power transformer. Ran a few continuity checks and the ground side of the input jacks also goes there. I've reconnected the wire and all *seems* well. Plugging in a cable now shows that the ground bit of the jack is connected all the way through to the earth prong on the mains plug.

Which is the same as on my Warwick Pro Fet. Noticed nothing different when I turned it on with a bass plugged in (and still not dead) but the whole thing has unnerved me.

Edited by Eight

[quote name='Eight' post='1236184' date='May 18 2011, 07:36 PM']I'm getting really paranoid about this now. To the point of testing all my other gear...

Anyway, upon further investigation, it appears the earth wire was originally secured to the metal around the power transformer. Ran a few continuity checks and the ground side of the input jacks also goes there. I've reconnected the wire and all *seems* well. Plugging in a cable now shows that the ground bit of the jack is connected all the way through to the earth prong on the mains plug.

Which is the same as on my Warwick Pro Fet. Noticed nothing different when I turned it on with a bass plugged in (and still not dead) but the whole thing has unnerved me.[/quote]

You're describing exactly what you should find here.
Nothing to be nervous about, you've fixed one problem and tested the rest of your kit to ensure it's as it should be. :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1236512' date='May 19 2011, 12:23 AM']You're describing exactly what you should find here.
Nothing to be nervous about, you've fixed one problem and tested the rest of your kit to ensure it's as it should be. :)[/quote]
Can you imagine what I'm going to be like next time I go into a rehearsal studio etc. though?

Lol. I'll certainly be finding space in my gig bag for a multimeter and socket tester. :)

[quote name='Eight' post='1236610' date='May 19 2011, 08:43 AM']Can you imagine what I'm going to be like next time I go into a rehearsal studio etc. though?

Lol. I'll certainly be finding space in my gig bag for a multimeter and socket tester. :)[/quote]

Careful or you'll end up carrying a toolkit as daft as mine... :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=Search&CODE=show&searchid=e2525234908e727dad451a5213e79e51"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=Search...d451a5213e79e51[/url]

[quote name='icastle' post='1236755' date='May 19 2011, 11:03 AM']Careful or you'll end up carrying a toolkit as daft as mine... :)
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=Search&CODE=show&searchid=e2525234908e727dad451a5213e79e51"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=Search...d451a5213e79e51[/url][/quote]
Wow. That's an impressive selection of gear to take with you! :)

I'm impressed.