Why become a member? ×

Cab/speaker advice needed

Freddiel75

Hi fellow bass chatters - I would really appreciate some advice please

Okay firstly - i am using a hartke lh1000 head through 2 epifani ps210 cabs- all purchased new in the past 2/3 months - I am also using good quality speakon cables.

The sound is fantastic except for every now and again the speakers make this loud popping sound although the amp is only about half way up. The limiter button seems to stop it from happening but I shouldn't have to use the limiter all the time.

The cabs are 400watts each - 8ohms, the amp kicks out 750watts at 8ohms or 1100 watts when the cabs are bridged together at 4ohms.

Any one else experienced this and might have an idea what is causing it?

Many thanks in advance

Freddie:o)

A loud popping is either the amp running out of headroom or the driver voice coils hitting the back plate. Neither is recommended. The cab wattage rating is irrelevant, few cabs can make use of more than half their rated power, and if pushed to full power the drivers may very well bottom out.
I would not bridge the amp. 225w/8 ohms per channel is all your cabs need, so run dual mono. All that you're accomplishing with bridging is doubling the voltage swing, which doubles the likelihood of damaged drivers.

Does the popping sound coincide with playing the lowest notes or slapping a low note?

How is the amp EQ'ed?

Using the limiter seems reasonable if ones playing style involves large dynamics as the power amp may well be clipping when faced with such transients and that would make a nasty rasping/popping noise.

just a thought