Why become a member? ×

FT (feeler?) for now: Nordstrand NX6 set-neck

nobodysprefect

Nordstrand custom NX6, set-neck construction.

Carey Nordstrand has fantastic luthier skills and he knows how to make a player's instrument. It needs to be stressed that I'm only letting this go because I now have TWO Roscoe Century Signature sixers and they give me [i]my [/i]tone. (Or is my tone now the 'Roscoe tone?') I can take the hit in playability, since I'm never hired to do bass acrobatics anyways.

The specific things this bass has right are:

- Firstly, the tone. Mandolin frets give the bass a more complex tone than on most basses, and Carey's pickups and pre-amp do a variety of tones well, but the Jazz Bass tones this bass does are fantastic. Playing with the tone in active and passive modes lets you dial in your favourite JB tones. Does also do a dub humbucker tone. Carey is a wizard. It's a very responsive bass despite having a set neck. Don't Foderas often have set necks?

- Secondly, the playability. This bass has I) fantastic balance on a strap and on the lap. Feels like a well-balanced fiver, in fact. II) The String spacing is 18 mm and can be adjusted between 17,5 and 18,5 - I've left it at 18 which makes for easy chording. III) The tiny frets are easier to play on than the normal frets IV) The neck. Oh, the neck. It's not as wafer thin as some Smith necks but the profile is a fantastic ovoid. 53 mm wide at the nut and 70mm at 12th fret. 24mm thick at 12th fret. V) Does a stupidly low setup without buzz. edited to add: also, 34.5" scale meatier c string, spankable b, no stretching involved.

- Thidly, the looks. The dove may be a off-putting for some, but playing this bass feels like heaven, so it's apt. Apart from that, fantastic looking woods. Classy lines, nothing flashy there.

The bad: this bass has had a bit of bad luck, but has been VERY well repaired. The top is no longer the original one, but no-one would know. Needs to be said, though.

I'll have to warn you lot that I may well decide to keep this.

What I'm looking for: a (fretless) six with 35" scale.

This model used to cost over USD5000 (I think USD5600 was the specific price of this bass) direct from Carey. Can't be had for love or gold now, but a fabulous fretless will do just nicely, ty. :) Brands I'd be especially interested in: Brubaker, MTD, Kenneth Lawrence, Turner, Roscoe, W&T, Wal, [i]maaybe [/i]Smith. Would go plus or minus cash depending on what's offered. Really mostly looking for a fretless now, but might go for a fretted, I'm fickle that way.

I'll need to crop some photos now, and weigh this bass.

Edited by nobody's prefect