Why become a member? ×

GHS bass boomers - short/medium scale

Cieran

I'm thinking about trying out some of these but I am unsure what scale would fit my bass. I am stuck between getting the short scale - Fits 30" - 31" according to the GHS website, or the medium scale - Fits 32" - 33".

The distance between the bottom of the bridge and the nut is a fraction under 32", but I know that scale lengths are unreliable and manufacturers use different ways to measure them - for instance my bass is apparently a 30" scale according to the official specs.

Has anyone got a set of either the short or medium scales that they could measure for me? I would be extremely grateful as it will help me decide which set to go for and stop me wasting much needed money!

Thanks in advance

Edited by Cieran

if your bass is 30" ( from nut to saddle) then get the 30" strings. you could get the longer strings to be sure. the only difference being the length of the outer windings. the only problem you would have is if you bought strings that are too short and would fall short of the nut. if you had string through or a seperate tailpiece then it becomes an issue.

It's a Gretsch G2202 which was originally a 30" scale but I have since put a badass bridge on it which has actually increased the length by about an inch. If I approximate from the saddles to the nut (as opposed to the bottom of the bridge to the nut) it measures about 31". You can see a pic of it here:

[url="http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/6464/copyof1001523tez.jpg"]http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/6464/copyof1001523tez.jpg[/url]

I am guessing that the short scale set will probably just fit which I would rather get as I can get these in a heavier 107 gauge which will help with the floppy E string. However I have also read that GHS Boomers are quite stiff so the 105 medium scale set might do the job. I currently have D'addario nickel EXL 105's on it which are great apart from the E string not having much definition....