Why become a member? ×

Badly installed Schaller Strap lock button

ExoticBehemoth

Hiya I have a Yamaha RBX6 which I bought second hand last year.

The guy who sold it to me had put schaller straplocks on it (which I don't like much but that's another story)

The trouble is the button nearest the neck seems to have been put in badly, or it's threaded because even a couple of hours practice and it works incredibly lose. I wouldn't feel comfortable gigging with it for fear it would hit the deck.

He didn't give me the original pegs so I am stuck with the stupid little buttons but does anyone have any tips for how I can safely secure the screw. I am tempted just to pour superglue down the hole but I imagine that would mean I would never be able to remove them if I need to in the future.

Thanks in advance for your assistance

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='139219' date='Feb 13 2008, 12:56 AM']use cocktail sticks & glue[/quote]

+1

That's the usual remedy. A white wood glue and some cocktail sticks. Remove screw. Squeeze glue into the hole. Cut a cocktail stick roughly to length and stuff it in the hole. Then stick in another one. Two or three should do the trick. You want it pretty tight. Wipe off any excess glue with a damp cloth. Leave to dry for a few hours then trim down any cocktail stick ends.

You now have a good solid base into which you can screw firmly.

You could use superglue but it can get messy. White wood glue (e.g. Evo-stick in the green bottle) wipes off with a damp cloth while it's wet and doesn't stick your fingers together.

This same technique can be used to fill any screw holes.