Why become a member? ×

Probably...the strangest gig I'm about to play

vsmith1

Despite the title, I've only been playing bass for a couple of years with some friends in a band. We do covers and a wide variety of songs as well. Anyway, we're playing tomorrow at a Royal Wedding party in the local primary school playing field. So there are two bits of strangeness: 1) Royal Wedding Gig 2) Outside. Furthermore the main strangeness factor is that I'm playing sat down. This is because about 6 weeks ago I came off my bicycle and ended up fracturing my 5th metatarsal. So my foot is still in a cast. However, in the intervening weeks I managed to get DVT in the same leg as the cast, and some clots (pesky rascals) managed to move to my lungs so I was kept in hospital two nights. Anyway, that's getting behind me and I'm improving. Still means that I'm sat down playing which is very strange, as I'm usually wanting to jig about a bit (particularly when playing Love is the Drug).

I'm really looking forward to the gig, as there's not much else I've been able to do in the meantime. No walking, cycling, driving. Even getting about the house has been difficult - what with the crutches and all.

So any ideas for my sedentary bass playing? Or will it just be put on the bass face?

If anyone else has a Royal Wedding gig tomorrow then have fun and groove away!

It's also put paid to my intentions to get a new Overwater/Tanglewood bass from the first batch.

Hi

Sorry to hear of your predicament!

I do gigs sat down (and will be sat down tomorrow) as I too have a 'Royal Wedding' gig.

It's in doors but makes no difference.

Just enjoy the gig and smile. If the audience see you enjoying yourself, they will enjoy it too!

Have a great one and let us know how you got on :)

Edited by Blademan_98

The gig went really well. I lasted both sets and was grooving along even though I was sat down. We were outside and our band's PA covered more of an area than I thought. The wind was a bit troublesome with the MICs - must get some foam covers. For me it was great to have an hour between sets as I could get my leg elevated and try to reduce the swelling a little. Even more so was the rest of the band had to set up and take down the rig and PA. I'm the one usually taking care of PA stuff and set up. We even had a couple of people listening and making adjustments to the main mix. So we sounded good and played well and the sun came out strong in set 2.

All in all - a great gig.

Sorry to hear about your malaise mate but at least you are on the mend and you got through the gig.

I also had 'Royal Wedding' gig which is a tad hypocritical of me as I am a committed republican. However I am more of a musical tart and will take the coin where it's offered.

On the way to the gig some bloke about 80 who should not be anywhere near a vehicle drove right into the side of my car, ( my Mrs car actually...how pleased was she boys and girls?). It took him about 20 minutes to write down his details and he had to refer to his drivers licence for his own address!

So I'm late for the gig but it didn't matter because it was at a holiday camp on the Kent coast, ( I won't name them in case they are litigious), but the words 'piss-up' and 'brewery' spring to mind. They couldn't decide whether they wanted us inside or out; decided outside and told us where to play...in a car park....and having set up the bouncy castle man turned up and we had to move all of our gear to give him access. So we set back up and then they decide that they don't want us outside after all...they want us in the club house. So we break down the gear load up and drive to the clubhouse which has no stage....fair enough. 'Where do we set up' we ask the entertainments manager ...'just over there' he says pointing at a huge tv screen which is showing the royal proceedings and is being watched by about 150 people in the room. We're already 20 minutes past the time we are due to start so we had no option but to set up right in front of the tele thus ruining everybody's view. How about that as a way of endearing yourself to your audience?

Surprisingly we went down very well to what can only be described as a mature 'middle England' audience. We were booked as a sing-a-long act and the guitarist I was working with does all the 'Underneath the Arches' & 'Lambeth Walk stuff. The gig before that was with a classic Rock/Blues outfit and the one before that was with my classic punk band. So I went from playing The Pistols and The Clash to Hendrix and Cream to Flanagan & Allen in successive gigs.

Rock n' Roll eh!

Attached is a photo from the gig....with me sat down with my Cort C5H.

[attachment=79000:Royal2.png]

My cast is off now, so looking forward to being more mobile and getting back to grooving about!

Edited by vsmith1