Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz Bass Tone

JayPH

A much more experienced player showed me the variety of tones available through changing the balance of p/up volumes around 20 years ago when I was starting out. I found that I usually keep one on full and back the other one off to 85%ish. As you roll it back, you'll hear the tone change & find your personal preference.
I now use a Sadowsky with a blend pot which makes it easier to change from 100% neck & 85% bridge to the opposite.
I do use the neck alone for reggae etc but I don't think I have ever used just the bridge p/up or both on full.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='redstriper' post='1215841' date='Apr 30 2011, 02:36 PM']And remember - who feels it knows it.[/quote]
Is right mate.

I'm sorry I haven't been on in ages but I'ver beern messing with my home recording rig.

Great replies all, thanks very much. I'm going to keep this thread as a reference.

I've found that I like to play reggae with the bridge pickup off and tone at about half.

Slap bass sounds good to me with the neck pup full or 3/4 and the bridge pup half way and the tone on half.

Everything else I have neck and bridge pups 3/4 and tone about 80%

Thanks for showing Amp settings famstd. That could be a new post maybe? :)

Cheers

John