Why become a member? ×

What should I do with my neck?

RobJF

[quote name='silddx' post='1217107' date='May 2 2011, 01:10 AM']Truth.

I have never understood why people keep advising other people to slacken truss rods and strings before storage or shipping. It's absolute crap. If you play an instrument constantly for 50 years it doesn't suffer from a correctly tensioned truss rod and strings tuned to normal pitch, and it doesn't when in normal storage. Just leave the bass as it is - playable, that's what it was designed for.[/quote]

+1

The strings and truss rod are in equilibrium when set up for playing. Why would you want to change that for shipping?
The strings will be putting some load on the neck joint, but if it that gets damage in transit then you didn't pack it well enough.

Edited by Count Bassy

Update: the bass is now in the hands of the Bass Doc, who tells me these truss rods are relatively flimsy. He'll be putting in a sturdier one, though that does involve removing the finger board. I've told the guy who stripped it and the shop manager that I won't be pursuing them for compensation or whatever -- not worth the hassle.