Why become a member? ×

Vintage-sounding speakers

ficelles

Looking for suggestions for speakers with a vintage sound i.e. like Jensen etc but with higher rating... specifically need a 10" and a 12" (my home-built cab is an asymetric speaker design) minimum 75 watts apiece and preferably available in 16 ohms.

Any suggestions?

ficelles

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1211974' date='Apr 26 2011, 07:59 PM']A bunch of the 'vintage' is in the low rating. Look at guitar speakers, they break up easy, any abass speakers have been made not to. Celestion vintage 30s are nice for driven clunky tones.[/quote]

That's the trouble with the vintage stuff, sounds great but mostly low wattage. Not a fan of that Celestion V30 sound myself... maybe neo is the way to go as it's supposed to have alnico-like response.

Btw didn't I trade you an Acoustic Combo a couple of years back?

ficelles

Edited by ficelles

Alnico is just another magnet material, the way the speaker is buiilt round it is what changes the response. The crappy glue at the time was what made them have low power ratings. Neos tend towards being modern construction, so more clean excursion, more power handling, so cleaner less vintage tone. Kind of depends what aspects of vintage tone you are after. The Vintage 30 is a modern speaker, designed to emulate vintage tones, so they 'handle' 60w instead of 30, but break up like old speakers (although they aren't as worn in as old speakers, so sound harsh for a bunch of time till they soften up).

I did swap my Ashdown combo (first amp) for an Acoustic 126 a while back. Was that you?

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1213341' date='Apr 27 2011, 11:35 PM']Alnico is just another magnet material[/quote]

I feel that may not be a sentence to use over in the Les Paul forum...

[quote]I did swap my Ashdown combo (first amp) for an Acoustic 126 a while back. Was that you?[/quote]

That was me. Another swap and your Ashdown combo is now a practice amp for one of the loudest classic rock outfits in Bristol.

ficelles

[quote name='ficelles' post='1213387' date='Apr 28 2011, 12:21 AM']I feel that may not be a sentence to use over in the Les Paul forum...

That was me. Another swap and your Ashdown combo is now a practice amp for one of the loudest classic rock outfits in Bristol.

ficelles[/quote]

Good to know it is still doing good work.

As for the Les Paul forum, they wouldn't like what I have to say about Gibsons either. Mate just showed me his new pride and joy brand new Gibson; couldn't not point out that the neck/bridge was misaligned, since it would still be in warranty .