Why become a member? ×

Play like Carole Kaye

OldGit

Current Guitar and Bass mag (March 2008) has a thing on Carole Kaye's basslines with tadpoles and tabs ..
It's basic but pretty good.
Interesting to hear about some of the tracks she actually did play on too.
Eg I'm a Believer, Something Stupid, Suspicious Minds

is carole kaye the lady who did or didn't play on stevie wonder's 'i was made to love her'? i don't know the full story (or indeed anything about either party) but i struggle to understand how that argument exists? surely Someone could have clarified who's bass track was used? the engineer? the other musicians? maybe even Stevie Wonder??!!! whoever played it, it's a cool bassline.. i might check out that mag, thanks for the heads-up OG. sparky

[quote name='Sparky' post='136614' date='Feb 8 2008, 03:18 PM']is carole kaye the lady who did or didn't play on stevie wonder's 'i was made to love her'? i don't know the full story (or indeed anything about either party) but i struggle to understand how that argument exists? surely Someone could have clarified who's bass track was used? the engineer? the other musicians? maybe even Stevie Wonder??!!! whoever played it, it's a cool bassline.. i might check out that mag, thanks for the heads-up OG. sparky[/quote]

Indeed it seems she didn't

[url="http://www.bassland.net/jamerson.html#drlicks"]http://www.bassland.net/jamerson.html#drlicks[/url]

Hamster

fantastic article hamster. seriously fishy huh?!! i guess the evidence speaks for itself but you gotta admit, it Does seem strange for an artist of kaye's caliber to be making false claims about her work - especially if she's contradicting her own logs...

ah well, who knows - 60's detroit seems a world away... intersting stuff.

[quote name='Sparky' post='136651' date='Feb 8 2008, 03:51 PM'][i]"I have a photocopy of the original Union contract from the "Reach Out" session. It's dated July 6, 1966 (the year of the tune's release), it lists James Jamerson as the bassist (for which he received the princely sum of $61.00)..."[/i]
madness!!![/quote]
There's loads and loads about this on t'web and, indeed, on the various versions of this very forum.
Do a search if you have loads of time .. :)