Why become a member? ×

Threesome Problem

stingrayfan

Apologies...this post isn't as interesting at the title suggests but you're all a brainy lot and I need your help please.

I need to run three active wedge monitors from the one outlet from our little PA mixer. Any ideas how I can cheaply split three feeds off the one? All plugs & sockets are jacks. I'm looking for something small and easy - rather than a 19" rack mounted spitting box.

Any ideas please?

If it's labelled as a "link" then it should be a line level signal for linking to the input of another monitor.

You do get external speaker outputs on some monitors but they should be labelled specifically "speaker" or something similar AND they will always have an impedance rating (e.g. 8 ohms) written beside them. If there is no mention of an impedance then it's most likely to be a line level link not a speaker output.

(You're right that a speaker output would provide too hot a signal for inputting into another monitor).

If you really can't determine which it is then you could try trial and error carefully as follows -

1. Feed one monitor with a very low music signal from the mixer (keep the mixer level very low)
2. Keep the volume of the monitor down so you can just hear it.
3. Use a screened lead (not a speaker lead) to link that monitor to the input of another monitor
4. Keep the volume of the second monitor very low

If it's a true link then the volume from both monitors should be very similar. Bring up the volumes slowly and compare what you are getting at each monitor.

Provided you keep the signal levels (especially the output from the mixer) very low there's no risk of damage to anything.