Why become a member? ×

WTB Helicore Orch medium strings new or used

TPJ

I picked up an EUB recently and it has Spiro Weichs on it. I'm looking for a darker, less growly tone out of it.

Any body have a used set of Heli Orchs going spare? I'd like to see if that sort of string would give me the tone I'm looking for out of the bass.

[quote name='TheRev' post='1191721' date='Apr 7 2011, 01:52 PM']I have a set of Helicore Hybrids... Sounded great on my old Aria Lite but synthetic strings like Honeys were better for the old school vibe.

What's the EUB?[/quote]
The bass is a used BSX Allegro 5. It's tempting to go with Honeys or Rockabillys but I'm not sure how the synthetic strings handle detuning when the bass gets dismantled for travel all the time. Perhaps the all steel strings would deal with that better.

Yup, steel core strings will cope better with that.

You can have my Hybrid set for £50 posted if you can't find a set of orchs. My Eminence EUB came with Hybrids but with an orch. G. I growled a bit on the d and A but otherwise sounded nice and full.

[quote name='slobluesine' post='1193543' date='Apr 9 2011, 08:58 AM']Helicore lights any good to you?[/quote]
How do they compare to Spiro weichs as far as thickness and tension go? I'm finding the weichs a bit thin and not offering enough tension, even with higher action.

[quote name='slobluesine' post='1193754' date='Apr 9 2011, 01:19 PM']havn't tried Spiro Weichs, but i do have Spiro mediums and the Helicores are abit higher tension but not much in the gauge[/quote]
Interesting. I always thought Spiro mediums (Orchs) were high tension. If the Helicore lights are higher in tension than the Spiros the might be too tight.

Of course all this is speculation as strings react differently to different basses, which leads me into the string game :)