Why become a member? ×

Jazz blues

JPS

I'm trying to develop my ideas for playing jazz blues tunes - fairly basic at this point - and wondered if anyone could recommend some good examples of jazz blues tunes for me to study/listen to/murder! I've got a few in mind i.e. Billie's Bounce, Tenor Madness.

Cheers

JPS

Bags Groove, Nows The Time, Straight No Chaser, Au Privave, Trio Blues (John Scofield), Blues on Purpose (Wynton Kelly), Tale of the Fingers (Paul Chambers), Blue Train (Coltrane), Soon All Will Know (Wynton Marsalis), Housed From Edward (Branford Marsallis), Blutain (Jeff Watts), Play The Blues And Go (Wynton Marsalis), Intimacy Of the Blues (Duke Ellington).... this list is endless and massive

Half of the jazz lps ever recorded carry at least one 12 bar blues.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Really helpful. It's quite liberating approaching the fretboard, and playing in general, from a different angle. Trying to incorporate all the different ideas and variations is keeping me entertained for hours! Another 10 years of this and I may even be almost competent.

One thing that has struck me is that I had a lot of misconceptions about walking bass e.g. never play the same note twice on the trot, make sure you put loads of rhythmic variation in. Listening to some of the great players it's struck just how "simple" they keep it at times, which I assume makes it easier for the main soloists and the listener to get a grip on the main melody, harmony etc.