Why become a member? ×

SH951 pickup - what side of the bridge?

baboom

I've just picked up a shadow SH951 single pickup from the violin store here in Glasgow (else would have nabbed the SH950 for sale here).

Anyways, the gap between the wing and main bit of the bridge is too small to accommodate it without modification so I wondered if anyone had any insight into whether I'd be more likely to have success sticking on the G string side or the E string side?

Since it is only a 50:50 call anyway, I was going to go for the G string side because when I put my clip-on tuner there it gets a decent signal from A, D, G but a patchy one from E string, so figured if I was going to lose anything it was better to be the lower tones.... and since it also gets a signal from the main bit of the bridge too (each side of the pickup is sensitive, apparently?) I figured enough E string vibration would get to it one way or another.

Also, has any one got suggestions on the best tooling for removing about 2mm of bridge wing material? I was thinking sandpaper glued onto a shim to make a sanding stick??

Cheers
Tim

I've done quite a lot of this. I always use a thin metal file. The advantage is that it's a rigid piece of steel that gives you a good chance of getting a nice parallel slot. Put the bass on its back and cover the top with a towel.

[quote name='bassace' post='1184748' date='Apr 1 2011, 02:13 PM']I've done quite a lot of this. I always use a thin metal file. The advantage is that it's a rigid piece of steel that gives you a good chance of getting a nice parallel slot. Put the bass on its back and cover the top with a towel.[/quote]

Cool - thanks!