Why become a member? ×

Nordstrand Pre-Amp in Warwick Thumb

dbass

Hey chaps,

My friend has a Warwick Thumb NT 1991 Model with a Nordstrand pre-amp and he's been having some strange noises coming out of it lately.

He's replaced the battery 3 times and it's still continuing.

I've got exactly the same set up in my Warwick Thumb but never had any problems with it?

Anyone got any ideas of what is going wrong? Dry joint, loose wire?

Cheers
Dan

[quote name='dbass' post='1173353' date='Mar 23 2011, 02:48 PM']My friend has a Warwick Thumb NT 1991 Model with a Nordstrand pre-amp and he's been having some strange noises coming out of it lately.[/quote]

Could you be more specific about the 'strange noises'?

[quote name='icastle' post='1173395' date='Mar 23 2011, 03:14 PM']Could you be more specific about the 'strange noises'?[/quote]

As a wild shot in the dark, I'd guess the noises are "Strange popping and static noises". At least that's what the title of the thread says :)

Sounds like a loose wire to me.

Sorry about lack of detail he explained it over the phone!

He mentioned it was similar to when you plug a jack in and out when the amp is on. So like a popping kinda sound. Doesn't happen all the time but just lately its been more consistent.

[quote name='wrinkleygit' post='1173905' date='Mar 23 2011, 09:21 PM']Warwick jack sockets can be unreliable with age,try a "wiggle test" on the jack plug if it makes the noise in question a new jack socket is an easy fix, best of luck, mike b.[/quote]

+1; I hadn't thought of the jack socket, but this is right - lots of people have problems with old Warwick sockets. And you can get a Neutrik replacement from Maplins for only 2 or 3 quid. (Just make sure it's a stereo socket!)