Why become a member? ×

Pre amp/ power amp option

phatkat

Ive quite fancied a Sansamp RBI and power amp setup for ages but have never seen anyone use this arrangement, I play in a pub band doing rock and blues covers, would this work for me?
What power amp would be a good compromise, good quality with reasonable cost? I dont need vast power.

Graeme

Try and score that Matamp Quasar the bloke selling the SVP preamp in for sale has, it is as awesome as it is heavy. Totally impractical and heavier than many valve heads, but I like them. For lightweight option, the Peavey IPR.

I use a Trace V-Type preamp into a Quasar power amp, sometimes a VT bass or a Paradriver instead.

IMO pretty much any PA-type power amp will do you as long as it's got enough power; due to lack of storage space my bass rig for a while has been an EHX Bass Metaphors running into a QSC USA 900 power amp, all sounds fine and buckets of power. The QSC runs 450W per channel into 4 ohms, I've only ever run one side of it on bass duties and it copes admirably; I'd say to be on the safe side you want 300W per channel (proper RMS Watts, not program or peak or other such bollocks) minimum, but that shouldn't be too expensive.

I run a crown xls 602 - with a RBI to one side and an rpm on the other, runs just fine, the only time it's clipped (albeit very slightly) was running an ampeg 810 balls out with bass at 3 oclock. But if you're just running one pre, look at the specs and outputs, they vary hugely, and will be your downfall if you don't consider all situations you'll need it for!

On the other hand, pa power amps are designed not to colour, so you can be fairly happy that the sound you hear on stage is the sound you hear out front!

I'm using a yamaha pb1 preamp (from the 70s or 80s or something) Into a QSC RMX 850. 800 watts bridged at 4 ohms or 600 watts at 8 ohms.

I use it into a GK Neo 212. The lightness of the cab makes up for the weight of the qsc. It takes up much less space than my old rig as well as being much louder. And the sound is sublime.