Why become a member? ×

Right hand warm ups

chilisfan16

+1 - Lots and lots of stretches! I also cramp up quite easily, and at most of my gigs I play for about 2 hours, so I make sure I do at least 5 minutes of stretches before each set - it makes a massive difference.

Also, take a look at how you support your plucking hand while playing - if your wrist is bent, then your carpel tunnel is closed up, and your fingers will cramp up a lot quicker. If this is the case, try raising your elbow a little (think 'I'm a little teapot'). :) This will straighten out your wrist, allowing better freedom of movement in your fingers. It takes a bit of getting used to, but if you make an active effort to do it, within a month or so it should be second nature.

Thanks for the ideas guys, i pushed my elbow out when playing to straighten my wrist and found i could play surprisingly faster and for much longer, i never realised there was an issure there! Now i'm just working on getting it into my mindset as a regular position. I usually do around 5-10 mins of stretching anyway, so it must have just been my carpal tunnel! I also tried the alternate plucking with my index and middle, index and ring and middle and ring and i found it really does get the mind in gear.

Cheers for the help, I appreciate the time lots!