Why become a member? ×

Auditions.

Spider-dan

I've had a few auditions lately some good, some bad, some ugly. ..

Now I'm not really into playing metal, I put an ad up on a local site and actually specified NO METAL BANDS after a previous ad saw a slew of them contact me. It wasn't long before I got a few replies that caught my interest. I turned up at one audition and where the band was claiming to share influences such as Interpol, Qotsa and Arcade Fire (they'd also sent me an acoustic demo, which I later learned was the drummer's previous band). The band took to their instruments to play one of their songs. Unsheathing pointy black guitars and plugging in, all that was left was for the drummer to scream 1,2,3,4 off they blasted into what can only be described a sonic assault on my senses, during which they (the guitarists) started jumping around like scalded cats, finally posing as the last notes rung out from their knock off BC rich-esque guitars. . . . . . . not wanting to seem impolite I agreed to play on the next run through of 'something,something BLEED!' or whatever it was called. . Opening my case I could see the anticipation in their faces "what bass do you have?" one asks.. . Closing the lid I expose my Danelectro bass to the musty practise room and their awaiting gaze. . . their faces soon drop . . after the run through I quickly pack up and leave. . I never heard from them again.

I was right into metal when I was a teenager and answered an ad for a "rock" bass player. When I turned up dressed in black denim with leather jacket and long hair there was a middle aged ugly bird with a piano and a guy about 100yrs old on guitar. She asked if I knew My Cherie Amour by Stevie Wonder so I packed my bass (cheap black P bass customised to look like Duff McKagan's) quietly back into it's case and walked out. They called my house about 100 times after that asking if I was still interested but I told them I'd had an arm amputated so would never be playing again.