Why become a member? ×

crescendo troubles?

chilievans

[quote name='chilievans' post='1165606' date='Mar 17 2011, 11:49 AM']I've recently had my bass set up and it has a lovely low action. The problem I have is when I play a crescendo I get a but of fret buzz.
Should I play with a lighter touch or raise my action or ......?
Any advice greatly appreciated[/quote]
Unless you feel your technique needs attention, raise your action.
I'm a fairly hard player (who wants it? :)) , so always need to have my action set fairly high.

Your instrument is there to serve you, not [i]you[/i] serve [i]it[/i].

[quote name='SteveK' post='1165621' date='Mar 17 2011, 12:07 PM']Unless you feel your technique needs attention, raise your action.
I'm a fairly hard player (who wants it? :)) , so always need to have my action set fairly high.

Your instrument is there to serve you, not [i]you[/i] serve [i]it[/i].[/quote]

Sound advice mate thanks

Out of curiosity how high is your action?

[quote name='chilievans' post='1165685' date='Mar 17 2011, 01:00 PM']Sound advice mate thanks

Out of curiosity how high is your action?[/quote]
I don't have anything to measure it with, so all I can tell you is that E @ 12 fret is slightly less than a £1 coin...

But, having done a quick check of the basses that I have at home - they vary. The £1 coin is tighter on some than others :)

If you've had it setup properly, then the truss rod should be ok. So, it's just a case of slowly raising the action until you're happy with the amount of rattles and buzzes.