Why become a member? ×

Fretted/Fretless

Ben Jamin

Just out of interest... anyone got any tips on a fretted/fretless conversion? :)

Instead of seeing this (admittedly awful, but of sentimental value) bass get dumped, I took this old P-bass copy off a friend and decided I'd make something out of it. I'm a pretty big fan of MuteMath, so I figured a fretless P would be rather fun. See: [url="http://vimeo.com/4445025"]http://vimeo.com/4445025[/url]

So I've re-painted and re-finished the lot, re-shaped the headstock and replaced all the hardware and electronics etc etc. All that's left now is to get out those frets - Jaco style! It's a rosewood neck, and as far as I can tell the frets seem to just be glued on, but I figured it'd be worth asking if anyone's got any advice before I go and accidently ruin the whole thing!

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1160800' date='Mar 13 2011, 06:08 PM']It's not likely. What make is it? :)[/quote]
It's only an old Encore - I only say I think they're just glued on because I can't see how they slot into the neck as with my Fender Jazz. But you're probably right - I'm pretty inexperienced in this kind of thing, hence the question :)

[quote name='waldemar' post='1161035' date='Mar 13 2011, 09:05 PM']This is quite neat:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6P9wtq1n9g"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6P9wtq1n9g[/url][/quote]

That's rather neat indeed! That'll do it! Cheers :)
My rosewood neck owes you it's life.

[quote name='Ben Jamin' post='1161051' date='Mar 13 2011, 09:14 PM'][quote name='Ou7shined' post='1161020' date='Mar 13 2011, 08:52 PM']
Here's an early 80's Encore I defretted[/quote]

Looks good! Makes me feel a little better about having an Encore :)
[/quote]
Hey don't feel bad about your Encore.

Mine started like this...

I kind of pimped it up a bit. It now looks like this....

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1161072' date='Mar 13 2011, 09:27 PM']Looks good! Makes me feel a little better about having an Encore :P

Hey don't feel bad about your Encore.

Mine started like this...

I kind of pimped it up a bit. It now looks like this....

[/quote]

Wow, nice! Love '51s - I've gone for a Tele headstock too :D
I started out with a black and white wreck, with no screws, a broken pick-up and a massive dent in the head (my friend was little ashamed to the Encore logo, not that taking a chisel to it made it look any better :) ) hence the re-shape :)
I'll post some photos up when it's finished :lol:

Edited by Ben Jamin

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1161098' date='Mar 13 2011, 09:46 PM']Aye the headstock really screams "make me a tele". :)

Looking forward to the pics.[/quote]

That's seriously nice man...

Ben - I recently bolted my old de-fretted Aria SLB2A back together - it's been sat around in pieces for the last 15-odd years, but I finally had enough spares to cobble something together. It looks, err... indescribable, but plays very well indeed and sounds lovely!

Just remember that the nut will need deeper slots, otherwise it'll play like a dog at the low end of the fretboard.

Good luck with it man!

Edited by waldemar

[quote name='waldemar' post='1161117' date='Mar 13 2011, 09:57 PM']That's seriously nice man...

Ben - I recently bolted my old de-fretted Aria SLB2A back together - it's been sat around in pieces for the last 15-odd years, but I finally had enough spares to cobble something together. It looks, err... indescribable, but plays very well indeed and sounds lovely!

Just remember that the nut will need deeper slots, otherwise it'll play like a dog at the low end of the fretboard.

Good luck with it man![/quote]

Hey, beauty's in the eye of the beholder!

Cheers for the heads-up on the nut - hadn't thought of that!

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Ben Jamin' post='1161086' date='Mar 13 2011, 10:35 PM']Wow, nice! Love '51s - I've gone for a Tele headstock too :D
I started out with a black and white wreck, with no screws, a broken pick-up and a massive dent in the head (my friend was little ashamed to the Encore logo, not that taking a chisel to it made it look any better :) ) hence the re-shape :)
I'll post some photos up when it's finished :lol:[/quote]

I have an old battered Westfield P bass that I need to do this too! I might have to start on this at the weekend!!