Why become a member? ×

Headphones and impedance

mart

[quote name='robocorpse' post='1142319' date='Feb 26 2011, 01:39 PM']What about wiring a 10 watt 8 ohm resistor across a jack plug and leaving it plugged in all the time unless you have a speaker connected? that way if you do accidentally unplug the headphones, there is no chance of running the output TR unloaded.[/quote]

But wait!

I have a cunning plan....

Why not use a 10W 8Ω loudspeaker across a jack plug and leave it plugged in all the time...

:)

[quote name='icastle' post='1142342' date='Feb 26 2011, 02:08 PM']But wait!
I have a cunning plan....
Why not use a 10W 8Ω loudspeaker across a jack plug and leave it plugged in all the time...[/quote]

I was replying to OPs earlier comment: "So I can run it without a cab? That would be convenient."
No need to be so condescending...

[quote name='robocorpse' post='1142319' date='Feb 26 2011, 01:39 PM']What about wiring a 10 watt 8 ohm resistor across a jack plug and leaving it plugged in all the time unless you have a speaker connected? that way if you do accidentally unplug the headphones, there is no chance of running the output TR unloaded.[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion. I had been contemplating something like this - it would seem a quick and safe fix. And a lot more convenient than a speaker.

[quote name='mart' post='1139896' date='Feb 24 2011, 01:07 PM']I've just bought myself a tiny valve head. It says, as you'd expect, that you should connect a speaker before turning the head on.

It also has a headphone socket, and when you plug headphones in, it cuts off the sound to the speaker.

Does this mean I can use the head with no speaker attached if I'm using headphones?

My understanding is that an amp needs a load, and a valve amp especially needs a load. But if the headphone socket cuts off the signal to the speaker, then surely it's disconnecting the speaker, in which case I don't need it connected in the first place. Am I right?[/quote]

what amp is it? It could be switching the amp onto a dummy load.

[quote name='umph' post='1144483' date='Feb 28 2011, 02:10 PM']what amp is it? It could be switching the amp onto a dummy load.[/quote]

It's a Blackstar HT1RH. (I've now edited my OP to include this information since it was buried further down in the thread).

[quote name='umph' post='1144607' date='Feb 28 2011, 04:21 PM']aye and high impedance on the primary, the ecc82 shouldn't be all that picky[/quote]

Thanks. I have to admit that I don't understand that :), but it sounds like you do, which gives me confidence in what you say! :)

So I finally got a response from Blackstar:
[quote]Thanks for the enquiry.

We recommend that you have a speaker load attached but the speakers will be disconnected when the emulated output is in use. Hope this helps.[/quote]

I can't say that I feel very enlightened by this response, but at least I'll stop complaining about them not replying!

Having mulled this over, I definitely want to make up a dummy load, i.e., a jack connector wired to a resistor. Would this 10ohm resistor from Maplins do?
[url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/10-ohm-to-30-ohmmetal-film-0.6w-resistors-341331"]http://www.maplin.co.uk/10-ohm-to-30-ohmme...esistors-341331[/url]

Edited by mart

[quote name='mart' post='1152339' date='Mar 7 2011, 11:20 AM']Having mulled this over, I definitely want to make up a dummy load, i.e., a jack connector wired to a resistor. Would this 10ohm resistor from Maplins do?
[url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/10-ohm-to-30-ohmmetal-film-0.6w-resistors-341331"]http://www.maplin.co.uk/10-ohm-to-30-ohmme...esistors-341331[/url][/quote]

Nope.
It'll only handle 0.6W.

If you want to do that you should be looking at something like [url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/10-watt-wirewound-resistor-2181"]these[/url] - the do an 8.2Ω one - you need to order part number H8.2R.

[quote name='icastle' post='1152509' date='Mar 7 2011, 02:15 PM']Nope.
It'll only handle 0.6W.

If you want to do that you should be looking at something like [url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/10-watt-wirewound-resistor-2181"]these[/url] - the do an 8.2Ω one - you need to order part number H8.2R.[/quote]

Well, the amp is only rated at 1W! :)

Seriously though, thanks - that 8.2Ω one looks ideal. I just need to save up a further 37p :)

[quote name='mart' post='1152532' date='Mar 7 2011, 02:40 PM']Well, the amp is only rated at 1W! :)

Seriously though, thanks - that 8.2Ω one looks ideal. I just need to save up a further 37p :)[/quote]

Oh god - I thought it was 10W!

In that case what you need is something like [url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/3-watt-wirewound-resistor-2173"]this[/url].
It's bigger than what you really need but at least it's available in a reasonably close value without wiring loads of smaller resistors in parallel. :lol:

W8.2R is the part number.

[quote name='mart' post='1152621' date='Mar 7 2011, 04:00 PM']Even better! Thanks again![/quote]
If you've not got a fan on it i'd recomend something larger. Your amp will do 1W rms and a few more overdriven and if you're running the resistor near it's limit it'll get hot

[quote name='umph' post='1152785' date='Mar 7 2011, 06:39 PM']If you've not got a fan on it i'd recomend something larger. Your amp will do 1W rms and a few more overdriven and if you're running the resistor near it's limit it'll get hot[/quote]

:) Even though the amp isn't putting any signal through the resistor? (Since I only want this dummy load for when I'm using headphones, and the amp "disconnects the speaker" when the headphone socket is in use).

I must admit I'm a bit lost on this, but if I had a speaker connected there would be no sound, so surely with a resistor in place instead of the speaker, the resistor will be getting no current through it. Or am I missing something again?

[quote name='mart' post='1153493' date='Mar 8 2011, 10:22 AM']:) Even though the amp isn't putting any signal through the resistor? (Since I only want this dummy load for when I'm using headphones, and the amp "disconnects the speaker" when the headphone socket is in use).

I must admit I'm a bit lost on this, but if I had a speaker connected there would be no sound, so surely with a resistor in place instead of the speaker, the resistor will be getting no current through it. Or am I missing something again?[/quote]

If you unplug the headphones then the signal will expect to find a loudspeaker to work with.

A resistor works by converting an applied voltage into heat and needs to be of a large enough size to dissipate 1W (as opposed to the 10W I thought it was!).
If it helps, think of these resistors as the 'posh' electronics equivalent of the old fashioned bars you used to get on an electric fire.

A 1W resistor [b]would[/b] do the job, but if the amp was overdriven then that 1W resistor could get very hot (you could apply more than 1W to it) so using a larger wattage resistor is the easiest way of putting a load on the amp which won't get too hot and has very little chance of failing.

Ok, that makes sense. So let's see if I've got this right:

While the headphones are plugged in, my tiny resistor should be ok. But if I accidentally unplug the headphones, or forget to plug them in, and carry on playing, then that resistor may get too hot.

So a bigger resistor (that can shed more heat) will guard me against that possibility.

[quote name='mart' post='1153926' date='Mar 8 2011, 03:11 PM']Ok, that makes sense. So let's see if I've got this right:

While the headphones are plugged in, my tiny resistor should be ok. But if I accidentally unplug the headphones, or forget to plug them in, and carry on playing, then that resistor may get too hot.

So a bigger resistor (that can shed more heat) will guard me against that possibility.[/quote]

Yep, that's pretty much right. :)

This resistor is just a coil of wire with a ceramic shell around the outside of it - if it gets too hot then the coil will burn out and you'll end up with no load (it'll 'blow' like a light bulb) and that's bad news.

A higher wattage resistor can cope with a higher load going across it and (in your scenario) has very little chance of overheating and blowing.