Why become a member? ×

Gallien Krueger MB115 Help

Magnolia

Used it for the first time today at rehearsal. About 2 hrs into rehearsal the amp just dies. No signal at all. Tried different bass and different leads to no avail. Now I'm home its working fine again.

Do these have any kind of safety cut off if driven too hard? As that's the only reason I can think it would have cut out like that.

Bit stressed as im gigging for the first time with a new band tomorrow......

The MB range has a number of fault sensing circuits dotted around it.
Faults that can cause shutdown are:

Short circuits
Mis-wired speaker cables
Blown speakers
Incorrect speaker configurations
Improper ventilation

I'm guessing that if you are using this as a combo without extension cabs, the most likely culprit is the 'improper ventilation' scenario.

These amps don't have a fan to cool them - they rely on a big heatsink on the back of the amp.
That heatsink needs a good 8" of air space behind it, call it a foot to be on the safe side. :)

[quote name='Gallien Krueger']If the amplifier senses any unsafe operating conditions, the output signal is immediately muted and the power light changes
from Blue to Red.

The amplifier will remain muted until the fault is removed.

If the protection circuit activates while playing, turn the amplifier off and check the speaker output.
If the problem persists, contact GK directly for technical advice.[/quote]

[quote name='icastle' post='1133009' date='Feb 19 2011, 01:59 AM']The MB range has a number of fault sensing circuits dotted around it.
Faults that can cause shutdown are:

Short circuits
Mis-wired speaker cables
Blown speakers
Incorrect speaker configurations
Improper ventilation

I'm guessing that if you are using this as a combo without extension cabs, the most likely culprit is the 'improper ventilation' scenario.

These amps don't have a fan to cool them - they rely on a big heatsink on the back of the amp.
That heatsink needs a good 8" of air space behind it, call it a foot to be on the safe side. :)[/quote]

After having a little read through the manual (handy things manuals!) I think you're right. I did have it fairly close to the wall. Any other fault it states the power light turns red, in this case it never....It stayed blue

I'm thinking about taking it back though as there was bit of a rattle/buzz when i played certain notes...

[quote name='Magnolia' post='1133014' date='Feb 19 2011, 02:08 AM']After having a little read through the manual (handy things manuals!) I think you're right. I did have it fairly close to the wall. Any other fault it states the power light turns red, in this case it never....It stayed blue

I'm thinking about taking it back though as there was bit of a rattle/buzz when i played certain notes...[/quote]

Ah.
If it's under warranty still then it'd definately be worth taking it back for a checkover anyway - it'll give you a bit of reassurance that it's not going to die on you - as long as you leave a good vent space. :)

[quote name='Magnolia' post='1133285' date='Feb 19 2011, 12:38 PM']I took the amp back for a refund as the vibrations just aren't on. Guy at the shop made me laugh though. He said the amp should only be this loud (quiet enough to talk over comfortably) as its only a practice amp!

Where do they find these people![/quote]

A 200W 'practice amp' with a 15" speaker?

Yeah.
Right... :)