Why become a member? ×

Advice Please..Ampeg SVTII

challxyz

Hoping someone can help with this query..... playing through my Ampeg SVTII the other night at a gig, done first set, put it on standby and the lights on the front went to red, which is obviously normal, however when I turned it back on for the second set instead of green lights I got amber lights, the amp worked fine and the light eventually turned to green after about a minute, question is, do I need to worry about this? does anyone know what it could mean?

cheers

[quote name='challxyz' post='1130972' date='Feb 17 2011, 01:21 PM']Hoping someone can help with this query..... playing through my Ampeg SVTII the other night at a gig, done first set, put it on standby and the lights on the front went to red, which is obviously normal, however when I turned it back on for the second set instead of green lights I got amber lights, the amp worked fine and the light eventually turned to green after about a minute, question is, do I need to worry about this? does anyone know what it could mean?

cheers[/quote]

The SVTII manual says:

[quote name='AMPEG']16. STANDBY/POWER/FAULT INDICATOR LED:
This is a multi functional LED.
In Standby mode, it glows red.
In the On mode (when the high voltage comes on) it glows green.
If it does not turn green in the On mode, there is no high voltage present and the unit needs servicing.
If the amp detects a fault in the power tube circuit, the high voltage is turned off and the LED flashes
between red and green. This usually indicates a bad power tube.
The amp will remain in this condition until the unit is turned off.[/quote]

There is no 'Amber option' according to Ampeg.
It sounds as though the amp was struggling to decide whether it was in 'Standby' or 'On'.
It could be that there was a supply issue and you'll not see the problem again - for peace of mind I'd probably get it looked at by an amp tech.

Many thanks for your reply, I'll get the amp serviced, better safe than sorry :-)

Cheers

[quote name='icastle' post='1131049' date='Feb 17 2011, 02:17 PM']The SVTII manual says:

There is no 'Amber option' according to Ampeg.
It sounds as though the amp was struggling to decide whether it was in 'Standby' or 'On'.
It could be that there was a supply issue and you'll not see the problem again - for peace of mind I'd probably get it looked at by an amp tech.[/quote]