Why become a member? ×

Driver / Cabinet suggestions

Guest MoJo

After years stagnating in a party band, I have hooked up with the guitarist and vocalist from the rock band I was a part of in the 90's. Back then a 150w head and 1 x 15 cab seemed to do the job. Now the guitarist is equipped with a Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100w valve head into a Marshall 2 x 12" cab and the new drummer is LOUD. I have been playing through a 450w Marshall and two 4 x 10" cabinets and I can't get the driving, thumping bass I'm after. We play a few covers, Stricken by Disturbed being one which is in drop C and the low B in Audioslave's 'Show Me How To Live' where the low frequencies just disappear.
I am collecting a Laney B1 head at the weekend which will give 1500 watts into 4 ohms or 1000 watts into 8 ohms bridged.
My question is what driver/cabinet configuration would give me the driving bass I'm after . Thanks

[url="http://www.eminence.com/proaudio_speaker_detail.asp?web_detail_link=KAPPALITE3015LF&speaker_size=15&SUB_CAT_ID=3"]http://www.eminence.com/proaudio_speaker_d...mp;SUB_CAT_ID=3[/url]

One or two of these in 100 litres per woofer tuned to 50Hz will match very nicely with your amp's output and move more air than any commercial cab. You will need some kind of midrange speaker to fill in where they roll off - the most impressive performer is the Eighteen Sound 6ND410. A simple 2nd order crossover at ~800Hz is all that's needed to protect the 6ND410 and stop the woofers and mid speaker interacting negatively.

Alex

I was thinking about maybe a 1x15 or 2x15 complimented by a 2x10. Building a cabinet of 100 litres per woofer wouldn't be a problem but how does one tune it to 50Hz?

Thanks