Why become a member? ×

Double bass expo - Ireland

aonindy

The DoubleBass Workshop in association with The Irish World Academy of Music and Dance - University of Limerick,

The Irish Association of Youth Orchestras and the DIT Conservatory of Music & Drama present

DOUBLE BASS EXPO IRELAND 2011

Saturday 9th April

The DoubleBass Workshop invites you to Double Bass Expo Ireland 2011. The Exhibition of Instruments and Masterclass will take place in the DIT Conservatory of Music & Drama, 163-7 Rathmines Road, Dublin 6 (beside the Rathmines Public Library) on Saturday the 9th of April and will feature:

*A performance and masterclass by virtuoso double bassist Professor Michael Wolf, who teaches in the Berlin University of the Arts and in the Irish World Academy of Music and Dance, University of Limerick.

*An exhibition of two newly hand-made double basses by award winning American double bass makers.

*A selection of beginner, student and professional double basses from The DoubleBass Workshop.

*A free double bass inspection by Tom Barrett, of The DoubleBass Workshop, for all who bring an instrument.

[ [url="http://doublebassireland.com/BASS_EXPO.html"]Details on website[/url] ]

[quote name='frank' post='1105774' date='Jan 28 2011, 12:48 AM']any chance id see a EUB there or will it be a totally classical affair
anyway it could be interesting[/quote]

A friend of mine who is a Bass Teacher (Mainly kids) and a very fine oboeist
(if that is the word!) told me about it - I'd safely say there will be only classical,
but I have it in my diary - worth a visit to hear some fine musicmanship I'd say
if you are around ... that Prof Wolf can certingly handle a bow!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjMZ3OOC0kg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjMZ3OOC0kg[/url] :)

All good - if anyones interested we could grab a coffee
or something beforehand and go in a group - intimidate
the pure classical folk with our rockin/blusey/jazzin
hooliganism antics and posing and stuff :) ...

or just hang out and look cool cos we'd be in a group and
everyone else would be standing around the wall :)

Absolutely - sounds like a plan. I don't have a gig that night yet, so Murphy's law will surely bite me on the ass as soon as I make plans - but failing that I'll be there. I have it in my diary, so lets get the PM's going coming up to the date. Maybe we should all wear sunglasses and look like a real gang? Hang around the entrance and intimidate the classical folks - hum some swing tunes?

sorry lads double bass with a bow isnt for me kinda sounds like someone set a bag of cats on fire (i swear it wasnt me)
no offence Mr Wolf i know you have great musicianship technique and so on and can easily play other material maybe even some funk.

Theres nothing as good as a funky double bass.

Anyway check this guy out on youtube adambenezra (dont know how to link it)
its not strictly funk but its fun and hes a great musician also, thats what id like to hear at a doublebass party.

• 2 months later...

Details and times now added:

[url="http://www.doublebassireland.com/BASS_EXPO.html"]http://www.doublebassireland.com/BASS_EXPO.html[/url]

9.30am-4.00pm

The DoubleBass Workshop invites you to Double Bass Expo Ireland 2011. The Exhibition of Instruments and Masterclasses will take place in the DIT Conservatory of Music & Drama, 163-7 Rathmines Road, Dublin 6 (beside the Rathmines Public Library) on Saturday the 9th of April and will feature:

*A performance and masterclass by virtuoso double bassist Professor Michael Wolf, who teaches in the Berlin University of the Arts and in the Irish World Academy of Music and Dance, University of Limerick.
*An exhibition of two newly hand-made double basses by award winning American double bass makers.
*A selection of beginner, student and professional double basses from The DoubleBass Workshop.
*A free double bass inspection by Tom Barrett, of The DoubleBass Workshop, for all who bring an instrument.

BTW - I have seen the Seth Kimmel bass and its a thing of beauty. Seth is coming
over as are three bods from the Cincinnati Bass Cellar it seems!

[b]Whos going / what times?
[/b]

I went to the Expo today ... for those local who missed
it - you *really* missed out! ... it was fantastic.

The master-classes were pure magic, I learned so much
watching others being coached, and the recital at the end
was simply incredible..

If its on again next year, don’t miss it!

/A.