Why become a member? ×

Line 6 Relay G50

citymariner

[b]Why?[/b]

Well, apart from the usual GAS moments accounting for several of my purchases, I really was getting sick of tripping over cables at rehearsal and when gigging.
So, I thought I'd take the plunge into the world of wireless. I had read really good reviews on the G50 so clicked the buy button.

[b]Where?[/b]

I bought the G50 form GAK (UK based) next day delivery for free meant I did not have to wait for long

[b]What?[/b]
Well, the Line 6 G50.

Receiver:
You get 12 channels, cable simulation, main output and aux/tuner out, external wifi aerials, DC PSU, metal construction, signal/battery strength LED's, Data transmit LED.

Transmitter:
metal construction, excellent clip for clothing/strap, on/off, mute, channel select/naming/power save mode, cable 1/4" to TA4f, 2x AA batteries

Other:
Instructions, warranty etc.

[b]How?[/b]
Well it is as simple as plugging your bass into your amp!
Put batteries in, plug cable into transmitter and into your bass, plug output from receiver into amp, select channel. Hey presto!

[b]Verdict[/b]

The Line 6 Relay G50 was really simple to setup, there are extra features such as naming your transmitter etc. that could be handy if you have more than one setup in your band.

The Aux setup allows you to connect your tuner so that when you hit the mute button it routes the signal via the aux channel.

When you turn the product on or off you don't get a pop of any kind through your amp.

Noise free, I literally walked allover a huge building that has shody wiring and didn't get any loss in signal or any amplified noise. I got three green lights out of three. The unit does detect noise above a certain level and will indicate its severity using the three LED's (they change red when there is excessive noise)

The clip is strong and the way the transmitter has been orientated the cables route well. I did some jumping around/ moved my bass around whilst playing and there was no movement.

The quality of the cable is ok. It doesn't fill you with confidence as the barrel comes loose on the 1/4" jack but it's not much to replace to something that will meet your exact requirements. I'd rather they cut costs on the cable than on the actual build quality of the unit etc.

The only problem I have had is that when the item arrived the master output was dead. I had the back off and checked with a multimeter and it was more than a dry joint in the soldering department. The aux/tuner out worked fine so I used that for my play around - the quality of signal must be the same to both jack outputs as it sounded great and gives you confidence that you have got an unaltered/ clean signal running to your tuner.

GAK sent a courier with a replacement on a next day delivery once I had notified them of the problem.

The only improvement I could offer is that with the G50, the professional stomp-box version, I'd have liked a plastic case it all could have been stored in. The box it comes in is good quality and with pref cut foam that would be ideal to transfer into another box if you'd want to but for Line 6 to supply one of these would be great. Liek I mentioned about the cable thought, I'd rather the money be spent on the product than a fancy case...

Link to manufacturer: [url="http://line6.com/relay/"]Here[/url]

I can put an 'unwrapping' video/ picture up if you really want...

Hope this provides as a useful review for people.

Any questions, just ask and I'll endeavour to answer your questions (PMing me might be a better option so I see to pick up the message)

Josh

Edited by citymariner

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...