Why become a member? ×

Jazz and P bass copies

Al.B

Hi all, i've been looking at p and j bass copies. Those made by sandberg and lakland both look really good to me. Can anyone who owns one possibly do a comparison against their usa fender counterparts. Or should i just go for the Fender option. The reason i ask is that i always see everyone playing Fender and i would just like to put a slightly different slant on things. Any info greatly appreciated .
cheers
Al.

There are loads of threads here about Laklands and how good they are. I used to have USA Fenders and made the switch to Lakland Skylines over time just because they are so good and IMO better than the Fenders I had. There are some great Fenders out there but the quality of Laklands tends to be more consistent and their design takes a classic idea forward rather than just replicating it.

I have no experience of Sandberg but as far as Laklands go, and I think there are a few people on this forum that would agree with me, I would order a Lakland unseen whereas I would always insist on having a go on a US Fender before ordering.

Another alternative is a Japanese Fender and there are a couple of active threads on MIJ/CIJ Fenders on this part of Basschat at the moment that are very informative.

Fender is a huge brand and is the default and original bass for millions but there are alternatives out there that are too good to overlook. What I will say about Lakland and Sandberg is that they have so much of their own personality and feel that they aren't "copies" at all.

Edited by Sean