Why become a member? ×

Hofner bass neck - 60s? Absolutely never fittd, new stock. Vintage!

gareth1982

I've had this neck in my spare room for a few years now after picking it up at a carboot sale. Apart from a few small knocks and the obligatory laquer cracking, it's totally as new; the nut hasn't been cut, the neck heel has no screw holes, and obviously the frets and fingerboard have never seen a string. It's never been fitted to a bass, which begs the question how did it appear on a carboot sale?!?!

Anyway, it says 'genuine Hofner original, made in Germany' on the back of the headstock. There is plastic edge binding on the edge of the 23 fret fingerboard....anyone got any idea what model it's for and / or what it's worth?

Any info would be appreciated!

Cheers

That's the neck for a 500/6 - this one used to be mine:

I sold it to Justin Meldal-Johnson when he was over here on tour with Nine Inch Nails.

For information on how that neck ended up at a car-boot sale in the UK, have a look at [url="http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/vintagehofner/factfiles/sudstash/stash.html"]http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/vintagehofn...tash/stash.html[/url]

I'm guessing that yours was one of those bought by Music Ground because it's for a 500/6 and because it's lacquered, both of which would have made it less desirable to Peter Kessler.

The reason that's a problem is because the 500/6 was a short-lived model, brought in to replace the much-loved 500/7 Verithin. The 500/7 had major problems with the set neck because the body was so thin, so the 500/6 was the only bolt-on neck that Hofner ever fitted to a semi-acoustic bass.

And there's your value - very little, because there are very few 500/6's out there in the first place, and even fewer that need a "new" neck.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...