Why become a member? ×

Aguilar Db751 clip light

Steve Spector

Just read a tip about setting gain levels, turn the master down to 0, then edge up the gain while plucking quite hard until the clip light comes on then back it off a bit and you're there.
Did this with my Spector Euro - seriously hot output active bass I believe - and even with Gain at max and even with the -6db switch disengaged the clip light never came on.
Should I expect it to?
Steve

[quote name='Steve Spector' post='1087313' date='Jan 12 2011, 10:06 PM']Just read a tip about setting gain levels, turn the master down to 0, then edge up the gain while plucking quite hard until the clip light comes on then back it off a bit and you're there.
Did this with my Spector Euro - seriously hot output active bass I believe - and even with Gain at max and even with the -6db switch disengaged the clip light never came on.
Should I expect it to?[/quote]

This is a question that crops up from time to time and has never really been answered due to the number of variables involved.
It could be that there's not enough signal to make the clip light come on.

It's a bit like having a smoke detector without a test button though - is it working or not?

I think the best way to judge it is by using your ears - if you can hear clipping then just back the volume down like we used to do before they started putting warning lights on gear... :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1087455' date='Jan 13 2011, 12:08 AM']I think the best way to judge it is by using your ears - if you can hear clipping then just back the volume down like we used to do before they started putting warning lights on gear... :)[/quote]

That's what I have been doing, easy enough, just sounded like this idea was a bit more scientific!
Steve