Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yamaha RBX375

gizmo6789

Right there is sooo much stuff has gone wrong with this bass it is unbelieveable.

First off, it is an active bass and eats batteries like you would not believe, 1 a week, No i dont leave it plugged into my amp because i know that completes the active circuit.
Think there is something not right with the wiring causing the batteries to run low.

The switch that contols the pickups, is knackered, it doesnt switch very well and crackles sometimes, think it needs a new control pot or something, that what the guy at Jimmy Egypts said anyway.

it also needs set up for playing in drop C. i really dont think the way the action is just now is the right way.

best for last, the jack is gubbed too, need a new jack for it, and last week it shocked me, the bridge went live and shocked me. not touched it since.

It's my favourite bass, it sounds meaty and i just want it back in working order again.

[quote name='gizmo6789' post='1082263' date='Jan 8 2011, 04:23 PM']Right there is sooo much stuff has gone wrong with this bass it is unbelieveable.

First off, it is an active bass and eats batteries like you would not believe, 1 a week, No i dont leave it plugged into my amp because i know that completes the active circuit.
Think there is something not right with the wiring causing the batteries to run low.

The switch that contols the pickups, is knackered, it doesnt switch very well and crackles sometimes, think it needs a new control pot or something, that what the guy at Jimmy Egypts said anyway.

it also needs set up for playing in drop C. i really dont think the way the action is just now is the right way.

best for last, the jack is gubbed too, need a new jack for it, and last week it shocked me, the bridge went live and shocked me. not touched it since.

It's my favourite bass, it sounds meaty and i just want it back in working order again.[/quote]

Well the good news is that your knackered jack is probably whats eating batteries (the battery 'switch' is part of the jack).
The bridge earth is sometimes taken from the jack socket as well (it's usually the closest earthing point) so that might explain the lack of bridge earth as well.

The pickup 'switch' looks like a pot to me (a balance control with a centre 'click' perhaps?) - giving it a squirt with some switch cleaner would perhaps sort that problem out.

The action setup is easy to DIY but you might consider taking it to a guitar tech if you are at all uncertain about setting up or doing any of the above.

[quote name='gizmo6789' post='1084922' date='Jan 10 2011, 10:06 PM']im pretty sure it was quoted around £200 to get it fixed, set up and re strung. tbh i dont think i want it re strung, the ones on it have been there for a year or so but theyre still sharp coz iv never used them, and they cost £36 quid[/quote]

:) £200? :)

There is no way on earth that this could possibly justify £200! Ask somewhere else

£200 buys you a new (used) 375! Switch the jack (around £3) and take to somebody for a setup (around £20) and put the new strings (around £30). You'll get a great bass in the end. After a year your strings had lost their elasticity so doing a setup with them will be a mistake as you'll notice in the next time you need to put new strings.
When you say you unplug your bass from the amp does this means you leave the jack plugged to the bass but unplugged from the amp? The jack in the bass socket also drains some battery. I'm not a tech to explain why though.
Also make sure you're connecting your bass's power cord to an earthed socket, that could explain some shocks. As for the knob don't realy know if it's busted or not. try the contact cleaner spray like icastle sugested.

Best of luck with it. I had one and it realy is a great bass for it's price range.