Why become a member? ×

Replacing a Jazz Neck

paddy mcbride

Hi

I have a CMI jazz bass from 1970's which I love. I recently started playing it again after leaving it to sit in a corner for a year. The issue I have come across is that the music I'm currently playing in requires the strings to be tuned CGCF and I cannot get the bass to intonate correctly. I assume this is because it is a shorter scale neck than my Warwicks.

Could someone please advise me if a new neck would solve this issue or is there another option available?

Thanks

Paddy

[quote name='paddy mcbride' post='1079476' date='Jan 6 2011, 09:26 AM']Hi

I have a CMI jazz bass from 1970's which I love. I recently started playing it again after leaving it to sit in a corner for a year. The issue I have come across is that the music I'm currently playing in requires the strings to be tuned CGCF and I cannot get the bass to intonate correctly. I assume this is because it is a shorter scale neck than my Warwicks.

Could someone please advise me if a new neck would solve this issue or is there another option available?

Thanks

Paddy[/quote]
No, intonation doesn't have anything to do with scale length, (isn't it 34 inches anyway, just like most Warwicks?), so a new neck won't help. Have you tried adjusting the bridge saddles and the action, both of which affect the intonation as well as maybe fitting some heavier strings which certainly help playability with down tunings. I've found that if the strings on a down tuned bass are too light I tend to squeeze them too hard onto the fret and bend them sideways, which means the note is always sharp.

Thanks for your response.

I have adjusted the saddles as far back as they will go and the strings when played are still sharp. Maybe if the action was lowered slightly this would help and a heavier gauge string too. However, if a neck is shorter scale for instance I've heard that there is difficulty when using drop tunings and I assume this was to do with intonation.

Cheers

Paddy