Why become a member? ×

Moanin'

Bloodaxe

Does anyone have an accurate transcript of the main refrain & subsequent swing section (i.e. about the first 45 seconds)? NOT the bass part - either the piano or brass.

I have the "transcription" that's on p.240 of the Real Book Vol II, but I'm not entirely convinced by it & it's starting to drive me nuts.

A couple of gratuitous Youtube clips of a great tune:

Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers:

Ronnie Earl:

I love the B3 in this - you can't beat a good dirty organ.

Pete.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been chipping away at transcribing this & have hit a snag...

[url="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8453031/Moanin_Triplets.pdf"]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8453031/Moanin_Triplets.pdf[/url]

The snag in question is circled in red. The top section is what I want it to look like, but the bottom transcript is what Guitar Pro is insisting on - see that socking great tie? That's not what I want at all.

So... Is there something wrong with my transcript that's resulting in this (to me) inexplicable weirdness, or is Guit Pro being silly?

FWIW I have two Real Book 'interpretations'. Both are slightly different & neither sound quite right to my ears, hence my attempt at getting a bit closer. I've also deliberately turned the TAB off for this exercise, to try to force me to get used to the stave(s).

Here's another version of the offending tune by Ronnie Earl with some more cracking B3:

Pete

Edited by Bloodaxe