Why become a member? ×

This Charming Man

ianwild16

I've got a dep gig on boxing day and one of the tunes is This Charming Man by The Smiths.......
I've got the intro and the verses done, but the chorus is giving me proper grief...
Its a walking type line with a funny slide in it.
I've tried youtube, but they're all too fast and not clear enough to see what's going on.

Does anyone know it and fancies doing a video of them playing it, but slowed down?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Ian

I'm no expert, but I would recommend:

- Download a copy of "The Amazing Slower Downer". Trial version will let you play first 3 tracks from a CD IIRC or first few minutes of an MP3, so you can burn the track on there. Something like 50 USD to buy..

- Slow it down and take your good time, note for note, even if takes hours.

Damn i wish id seen this in time. I have the songbook somewhere.

Go to this page, the guy has tons of Smiths somgbook stuff, even a vid of him doing the bassline. scroll about halfway for the songbook, go past all the johhny marr stuff and its below that.
[url="http://www.smithsonguitar.com/2008/09/this-charming-man.html"]Smiths songbook stuff here[/url]

and for Tab heads: [url="http://www.micturion.com/smiths/smiths_bass_tabs/this_charming_man-bass.php"]tab for charming man[/url]

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' post='1074535' date='Jan 1 2011, 05:19 PM']Go to this page, the guy has tons of Smiths somgbook stuff, even a vid of him doing the bassline. scroll about halfway for the songbook, go past all the johhny marr stuff and its below that.
[url="http://www.smithsonguitar.com/2008/09/this-charming-man.html"]Smiths songbook stuff here[/url][/quote]

Wow, that is a great web site....loads of stuff to explore! thanks for sharing!
Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='dlloyd' post='1089433' date='Jan 14 2011, 03:17 PM']Which version did you play?[/quote]

The 'single' version.......
The version on hatful of hollow is more 'swinging'
I think the hardest part was the chorus - the pause and then the slide up.....took me a couple of days to get it right, probably drove the neighbours round the bend....

[quote name='ianwild16' post='1089709' date='Jan 14 2011, 07:17 PM']The 'single' version.......
The version on hatful of hollow is more 'swinging'
I think the hardest part was the chorus - the pause and then the slide up.....took me a couple of days to get it right, probably drove the neighbours round the bend....[/quote]

I prefer the Hatful version, but I think I'm in a minority...

Did you tune up to F#? Helps a lot.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='1090007' date='Jan 14 2011, 11:40 PM']I prefer the Hatful version, but I think I'm in a minority...

Did you tune up to F#? Helps a lot.[/quote]

Yeah, I like the Hatful version too....and the 12inch New York remix is quite good...!
I detuned the guitar to learn it.....
Think I'll have a go at 'Barbarism Begins at Home'.....quite a funky bassline!
Any other top Smith's basslines which people could recommend?

[quote name='ianwild16' post='1090430' date='Jan 15 2011, 02:04 PM']Yeah, I like the Hatful version too....and the 12inch New York remix is quite good...!
I detuned the guitar to learn it.....
Think I'll have a go at 'Barbarism Begins at Home'.....quite a funky bassline!
Any other top Smith's basslines which people could recommend?[/quote]

Barbarism is a great tune... again played with the bass tuned to F#, B, E, A.

Most of the Smiths basslines are good... Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now is fun to play.

Here's a helpful tip, if ever I've given one... :)

Andy Rourke's basslines are extremely consistent... he comes up with great basslines and sticks to them. I've been through around fifty bootleg concert recordings and he plays the same thing every time* (with This Charming Man it's the single version)

Sometimes the basslines are difficult to make out in the official recordings, but they can be easier now and then to hear in live recordings. [url="http://www.akiraware.com/mp3unloveable.php"]This bootleg[/url] has audio recordings from The Tube that are particularly useful. Compare Still Ill with the official recording for example.

*There are occasional rearrangements of the songs, but the basslines remain the same for the most part.