Why become a member? ×

a slight ping??

fender73

Hi all

My bass (Warwick Rockbass Corvette 4 string - brand new, no fret wear etc) has develope a quite pronounced ping when you fret the 2nd fret of the A and D strings. I have recently straightened the neck slightly, but it still has some relief. The note frets ok, and and sounds (unplugged) but the fret ping is a bit annoying. Is the nut too high? It's an adjustable one so imay have a play

Anyone else had a ping? It does it with both old and new strings.

Any help would be fab

Thanks guys and girls

Graeme

It sounds like a similar issue to one I had once . Does the 'ping' sound like the plucking of the string between the nut and the machine head? Very taught area but if you pluck there you'll get the idea. Mine was due to the nut not taking all the vibration out of the string - this could be for a couple of reasons:
Break angle too small - Try winding string further down the tuning post.
Nut set up - Gully (can't think of correct term!) for the string is too wide or deep. Maybe if you've put lighter strings on recently this could have caused it..

It should really only be a simple set up problem if it's any of the above. Like all these things, that's my 2 pence worth. It could be coming from a load of different areas of the bass to be honest, but worth checking this out... Also check that fret is sat flush to the finger board. Process of elimination I expect ! :)

Edited by fingerz