Why become a member? ×

Schecter Stiletto Custom 5

theosd

Great little bass this, just I've moved on to 4 strings again & It's time to cull the herd... Currently strung with Rotosound Black Nylon strings and thanks to the 35" scale the B is nice and tight. In fact the hardware and woods used to make this instrument are of excellent quality, although the natural satin finish is easily dented and scraped (see pic of the back for worst of it) but you can see the plastic covering is still (partially) on; this bass has gigged only lightly. The neck is flat, fast and the narrow string spacing is accessible.

The pickups are EMG-HZs and also of excellently high quality, they're well rounded, punchy, clear and really complement the nylons and the vol/3eq set up lets you dial in a myriad of tones. The bag is a fender branded one that is simple but effective.

So [b]£275 posted[/b] seems a good price for a bass which is worth at least twice as much just for the sheer quality Schecter squeeze into their instruments. Alternatively feel free to come & collect it from Medway, Kent.

As far as trades go I'm only interested in practise combos of lower value, ideally an Orange Crush!

I wrote a review for this bass a while ago in a Harmony Central styley:

[i]Features: 9/10
Active EMG-HZ pickups, 35" scale to facilitate low B, sexy hardware
CONSTRUCTION: 6 Bolt-On Neck
BODY: Mahogany w/ Figured Maple
NECK: Multi-Laminate Maple/Walnut
FINGERBOARD: Rosewood
FRETS: 24 Jumbo
SCALE: 35"
INLAYS: Offset Dots
BRIDGE: S-Tek (similar but updated design to Ibanez Monorail)
TUNERS: Grover
HARDWARE: Satin Gold
PICKUPS: 2 EMG Hz humbucking
ELECTRONICS: 2-Vol w/ EMG Active 2-Band EQ
FINISH: Natural Satin Flame Maple top with light brown Mahogany stained body

Sound: 8/10
Perfect for what I need, which is a versatile modern tone with vintage character. I can imagine it not being 'growly' enough for a lot of folks.

Action, Fit & Finish: 10/10
For an essentially 'used' bass I can see that this is where Schecter really shine. They know how to build an instrument that looks as good as it plays and sounds. It's quite svelte and the rounded edges sit nicely. That maple top...

Reliability/Durability: 8/10
No issues electronically or stability wise - and this is currently my only gigging bass. I trust it. The Natural finish will 'naturally' be easily tarnished, but I plan on using this bass so that doesn't bother me one bit. It's just a bonus the thing looks so purdy.

Customer Support: N/A
I've never had to deal with Schecter but I hear they're a solidly reliable company.

Value for money: 10/10
Easily.

Overall rating (basically an average): 9/10[/i]

Edited by theosd

• 3 weeks later...