Why become a member? ×

String choice

fatback

I'm thinking a change of strings might be in order, esp. for getting into the arco thing :)

I've finally identified the ones I've got - Pirastro Jazzers, and according to Lemur Music's rather useful string guide, they're 'not for arco', which might explain at least some of the more horrible noises I make with the bow.

So, I'm looking for a string that's ok for pizz and arco. No slapping, and I have a weakness for a more singing kind of tone.

The choice looks between: Pirastro Obligatos, Pirastro Dominants and Evah Pirazzi (assuming the last two bow ok).

Any others I should be looking at?

Also, for a learner, is there a disadvantage in going for weichs, as maybe too easy on the hands when you're trying to build up strength?

Thanks for the help again. :)

A string I've found to be an absolute joy for pizz and arco are Kolstein Heritage strings. They have a lovely low tension and are closer in sound to gut strings than steel. And they also have excellent customer service. Check out www.gollihurmusic.com for prices and other options. I've had Kolstein's on both my upright and my Eminence portable upright and they work beautifully on both. Another string I'm loving for both arco and pizz, and currently have on my upright are Velvet Blue's.

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' post='1057548' date='Dec 13 2010, 05:32 PM']A string I've found to be an absolute joy for pizz and arco are Kolstein Heritage strings. They have a lovely low tension and are closer in sound to gut strings than steel. And they also have excellent customer service. Check out www.gollihurmusic.com for prices and other options. I've had Kolstein's on both my upright and my Eminence portable upright and they work beautifully on both. Another string I'm loving for both arco and pizz, and currently have on my upright are Velvet Blue's.[/quote]

Thanks Gareth. Those Kolstein's are a very reasonable price too.