Why become a member? ×

logs to axe 2

lettsguitars

ed got in touch to see if i still had a bass that was on ebay a while ago, i thought he was talkin about a different bass, all got a little confusing, but ed decided to let me make one. here's how it goes.
he knew straight away that he wanted a cocobolo top. cool.
wasn't sure about 4 or 5string, fretted or fretless.
we went through a LOT of changes to the shape, and ed finally decided on fretless 5 string with a blank board.
here's pics so far.
mahogany core. mahogany neck. pacific blackwood finger board (i might use maccassar ebony). possibly a rosewood back, or just the mahogany.
and cocobolo on top

i'll finish glueing the body, cat's eyes and headstock today, and we'll be ready for shaping. this one should be ready in a week or so, depending on when pups are ready. decided to go with the mahogany back. the cocobolo is pretty heavy and really thick, and the body is about 1 1/2". if i decide there isn't enough weight i'll put something on the back later.

Edited by lettsguitars

• 1 month later...

[quote name='gilmour' post='1095828' date='Jan 19 2011, 11:57 PM']Looking good, what are the pickups?[/quote]
they are handmade by a friend of mine. called I.M.P. (ibstock magnetic pickups). all custom and scatterwound passives. great pickups. the case on the single coil is a little 'bumpy around the logo area which is a shame and i may have to have it recovered by ben if ed isn't happy with it. the vac forming process has been a steep learning curve for ben, but he's gettin there. highly original though and they are noise free and loud. these are quite simple alnico designs but he does coil tap, at no extra cost and offers all sorts of magnet, rail, air coil design options. also does all my wiring. what a guy! i have a 4 string on ebay right now with his 'ibstock brick' humbucker, if you wanna take a look. cheers

Edited by lettsguitars