Why become a member? ×

Broken Knob On Trace Elliot Combo BLX80

son of frog

This may be cosmetic damage, and as much as this faithful combo has been through the wars, this issue is rather irritating,

The GAIN knob has come off and i need an ingenious way to re fit it, One of the sides of the two pronged slot for the knob has broken off, this is not just about the cosmetics of the amp, but is slightly annoying when you don't know what level of gain you're on,

I don't really have to technical know how to take the head out and put a new one in, But if anyone knows a good guitar tech around Guildford / Godalming or one willing to travel that would also be appreciated...

Any help welcome...
Thanks

Tom

[quote name='son of frog' post='1035720' date='Nov 24 2010, 10:44 PM']This may be cosmetic damage, and as much as this faithful combo has been through the wars, this issue is rather irritating,

The GAIN knob has come off and i need an ingenious way to re fit it, One of the sides of the two pronged slot for the knob has broken off, this is not just about the cosmetics of the amp, but is slightly annoying when you don't know what level of gain you're on,

I don't really have to technical know how to take the head out and put a new one in, But if anyone knows a good guitar tech around Guildford / Godalming or one willing to travel that would also be appreciated...[/quote]

Hi Tom,

Off the wall idea, but how about cutting an inch of pencil, splitting it down the middle to make a D shaped piece of wood.
Hold it against the remaining piece of shaft and push the button back on.

Ian

[quote name='icastle' post='1035816' date='Nov 25 2010, 12:19 AM']Hi Tom,

Off the wall idea, but how about cutting an inch of pencil, splitting it down the middle to make a D shaped piece of wood.
Hold it against the remaining piece of shaft and push the button back on.

Ian[/quote]

Good idea, i shall give that a try, and if it holds tight i shall superglue it.

[quote name='son of frog' post='1035819' date='Nov 25 2010, 12:24 AM']Good idea, i shall give that a try, and if it holds tight i shall superglue it.[/quote]

Superglue the pencil to the remaining part of the shaft by all means but don't be tempted to glue the button - one day a tech is going to want to replace that pot and your name will be mud mate... :)