Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Cabs

dbass

Hey guys,

Looking to change my cabs after Christmas and really want to give these cabs a go (Mainly the Super 12, 2x12 or Big One 1x15 1x6.5) and was wondering if anyone within say 50 miles of Nottingham has them and would be willing to let me come try them out with my amp!

Cheers,
Dan

I've had direct experience of both the Super Twelve (in SuperTwelve T guise) and the Big One.
[b]The Big One[/b] - immense sound but needs a particularly beefy amplifier to drive it. Something that can deliver 500 or more watts into 8 ohms should be fine. The low end just keeps on giving, with both extension and weight being really impressive, but it's never muddy or boomy. Personally, I'd be looking at something like a Hartke LH1000 to drive it.

[b]The Super Twelve T[/b] - which I currently have. It doesn't have the immense low frequency output (the really low fundamentals) of the Big One, but is far easier to drive, and makes fewer demands on an amp. Still a very big sound though, and to my ears is preferable in the context of my band. The tweeter is just as silky smooth as the Big One mid unit, but has more extension into the higher treble areas - I use lots of FX and the Super Twelve T suits this a tad better. Again, the bass is never muddy or boomy, and the cab is still capable of churning out those low octave divider notes, just not with the sheer slam that comes with the Big One. The Super Twelve T is however more sensitive and will go louder for the same wattage input - being a 4 ohm cab with two drivers also helps, and it goes louder overall than the Big One. Mine's partnered with an Eden WT550 (500w into 4 ohms) and this seems a pretty good match.

Hull is a little more than 50 miles from Nottingham, but if you'd like to try the Super Twelve, I might be able to arrange something.

@shergold that's the cab I'm looking at so would be up for that visit. Hull isn't a hard drive and for the money I would be paying out, it would be worth it. Still I'm wnoaiting on a reply from barefaced as they might recommend something else that suits my amp better.

My amp has two power amp channels. 2 x 600w @ 4 ohm so that sounds similar to yours.

@phil same amp as mine, how do you find it with those cabs?

[quote name='dbass' post='1033131' date='Nov 22 2010, 08:05 PM']@phil same amp as mine, how do you find it with those cabs?[/quote]
err.. contentious question, but firstly, extremely clear and loud,

..but too clean for the type of music i like, so i rely on a few dirt pedals to get the cabs rumbling at the right frequencies. although the tube channel goes have a bit of grit, it doesn't seem to get warm enough for me. - personal taste is everything !!

so i use a hartke vxl & extra fx in the fet channel, and an mxr-80 in the tube channel. when i get around to the synth stuff i'll have a rethink.

these amps are so versatile, it's not easy to decide what works best !! :)

edit.. oh yeah, sorry, the cabs..

they can handle too much volume for human ears.

get earplugs.

...and laugh at your guitarist knowing that he's going to have to turn it down before you do....

Edited by phil.i.stein

[quote name='dbass' post='1033131' date='Nov 22 2010, 08:05 PM']@shergold that's the cab I'm looking at so would be up for that visit. Hull isn't a hard drive and for the money I would be paying out, it would be worth it. Still I'm wnoaiting on a reply from barefaced as they might recommend something else that suits my amp better.

My amp has two power amp channels. 2 x 600w @ 4 ohm so that sounds similar to yours.[/quote]
PM sent dbass.

So you liked the sound of the one at the bass bash on Sat? :)

[quote name='dbass' post='1033131' date='Nov 22 2010, 08:05 PM']My amp has two power amp channels. 2 x 600w @ 4 ohm so that sounds similar to yours.[/quote]

Remember that 2 x 600 at 4 Ohms means that you have 2 600w amps running at 4 Ohms, so you can run 4 8 Ohm cabs or 2 4 Ohm ones. If you were to run 1 8 Ohm cab, you'll only get 375w out of it, if you ran 2 8 Ohm cabs on the same side, you'd get 600w, if you ran one 8 Ohm cab on either side, you'd get 750w etc etc.

The Hartke and some other amps (including my GK) can be ran in bridged mode to get the full power out at only 4 Ohms. I don't know about the Hartke, but my GK runs 240w at 8 Ohms, 360w at 4 Ohms or 540w at 2 Ohms (per side) or 650w at 8 Ohms or 1080w at 4 Ohms bridged.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1033160' date='Nov 22 2010, 08:41 PM']So you liked the sound of the one at the bass bash on Sat? :)

Remember that 2 x 600 at 4 Ohms means that you have 2 600w amps running at 4 Ohms, so you can run 4 8 Ohm cabs or 2 4 Ohm ones. If you were to run 1 8 Ohm cab, you'll only get 375w out of it, if you ran 2 8 Ohm cabs on the same side, you'd get 600w, if you ran one 8 Ohm cab on either side, you'd get 750w etc etc.

The Hartke and some other amps (including my GK) can be ran in bridged mode to get the full power out at only 4 Ohms. I don't know about the Hartke, but my GK runs 240w at 8 Ohms, 360w at 4 Ohms or 540w at 2 Ohms (per side) or 650w at 8 Ohms or 1080w at 4 Ohms bridged.[/quote]

Aye,

That's why I want the 4ohms. To get maxium power. Over the top maybe, but fun for sure!

My amp can done as the following

One 8 ohm load (either Amp A or Amp B driven)........................... 375 watts

One 4 ohm load (either Amp A or Amp B driven)........................... 600 watts

Two 8 ohm loads (Amp A and Amp B driven).............................. 750 watts

One 4 ohm load (Amp A) one 8 ohm load (Amp :).........................975 watts

Two 4 ohm loads (Amp A and Amp B driven)............................. 1200 watts

It's quite flexible in that respect but I'm going for either one 4ohm, or two 4ohm cabs. Depending if one blows my ear drums out*

*I wear earplugs for everything.