Why become a member? ×

Schroeder 1210L Review

mcgraham

Review

Ok, so I recently assembled my very first rig. Schroeder 1210L + Acoustic Image Clarus 1 (v.3). I’ve played through many different systems and rigs but never my own, so it’s quite a thrill to have one at long last. I had a band rehearsal last night with it and so was able to listen to it in a band situation.

The review is split somewhat into two, firstly a review of the Schroeder, secondly a review of the Clarus.

[u]Schroeder 1210L[/u]

I was able to play through one in the summer, absolutely loved the tone. It sat so well in the mix, was compact and relatively light (this was the R version sorry). I’d been wanting to try one for a while before that so this only hardened my resolve to get my own.

Construction: Top notch. I love the simple, understated look too. My favourite thing about this is that the version I played through in the summer has a knurled metal knob for tweeter control that was too tall compared to its width. It didn’t feel too sturdy and I noticed that between one practice and another it had been bent over to one side. The new one has a large flat dial with nice physical resistance. Feels very secure. Not the biggest fan of standard carpeted cabs, but at least scratches don’t show. I’m pretty sure the other one also only had jack input whilst this has Neutrik locking AND Speakon inputs. Great to have a choice.

Weight: Stupidly light, weighs less than your luggage going on holiday. Handles are comfy to carry it with too.

Sound: The reason I’ve split the review up is that the Clarus (to my knowledge and IMO) is designed to be a transparent and clear amp, so I reckon I’ve heard a decent representation of the real sonic character of my cab. So, eq flat… at home I liked/loved the tone. It had punch but without being perversely thick, was warm (enough) whilst also being clear, but again without being sterile. I felt it was perhaps a tad too open sounding, almost too neutral perhaps. However I realised that wouldn’t be enough to make a call as it’s all about what it sounds like in the mix.

In the mix it sounded fantastic, I had the eq flat, tone rolled off slightly (to about 75% of full) and both pickups on full (DiMarzio Model J’s in a Geddy Lee). When I say fantastic, I mean that I had it significantly louder than a typical practice but it wasn’t overwhelming. It cut through AND sat in the mix (if that makes sense), without being distracting whilst also being noticeable. Essentially the sort of balance you want to achieve with your bass.

One thing I would like to point out is that I had the tweeter on 100% and not once did it sound harsh, clanky, nor did it have unnecessary sizzle. Using the tone control when necessary meant it had exactly the right amount treble when necessary and it was always musical.

In short, what I felt about the Schroeder before holds true now. They sit astonishingly well in a mix, and with the right amp (as echoed by BC’ers and Tb’ers alike), they produce a wonderful array of tones that just work. They allow you to hear yourself well, but without overwhelming your band mates.

I will post my views on the Clarus shortly.

Mark

Edited by mcgraham