Why become a member? ×

Tenuto

civictiger

Okay, so im looking at this piece of music, and im unsure how this is actually played.

I did some research, and basically its the opposite to Staccato if I am correct, whereas stacatto is where the note is played for shorter than the physical note.. and vice versa with this being longer, not shorter.. now this makes so sence to me, as surely it would just be a note with an added tie note to increase the value?

the only other explanation I can think of, is that once staccato is played, this then tells you to stop playing staccato on that note from the point it is written, much like accidentals carry on for the end of the bar unless there is a natural symbol to tell you to stop the accidental values

any info on this point would be really useful for me.

[quote name='civictiger' post='1026155' date='Nov 16 2010, 06:11 PM']Okay, so im looking at this piece of music, and im unsure how this is actually played.

I did some research, and basically its the opposite to Staccato if I am correct, whereas stacatto is where the note is played for shorter than the physical note.. and vice versa with this being longer, not shorter.. now this makes so sence to me, as surely it would just be a note with an added tie note to increase the value?

the only other explanation I can think of, is that once staccato is played, this then tells you to stop playing staccato on that note from the point it is written, much like accidentals carry on for the end of the bar unless there is a natural symbol to tell you to stop the accidental values

any info on this point would be really useful for me.[/quote]

To my knowledge it means to play the note for its full value, the same as a horizontal line written above the note, thats how I have always played it and never been told I was wrong.