Why become a member? ×

New/old Jaydee Mark King Series 3.

Soliloquy

I've been meaning to do a build thread in the build diaries section, but I've never got around to it.

This is the latest picture of my 24 year old Jaydee Mark King bass, John very kindly emailed the photo to me about 10 minutes ago.

I bought the bass from a guy on here in May last year. It's been at John's workshop pretty much since then, he's totally transformed it from what was a very tired and neglected looking bass to this.

It was built by John for a Scottish bassist (Thom Yorke) in 1986. It was originally 'Pearl pink', and had what John called 'snow drift' inlays on the fretboard.
At some stage in it's life it had been re-sprayed white. The white paint was very yellow, and the original pink was showing through in a few places. The fretboard also had a couple of minor cracks. I have to say though, that despite all of this, it still sounded amazing.

John has like I said, totally transformed the bass. He's totally stripped off all the layers of paint, and re-sprayed it white. He's fitted a new modern truss rod to it, and a new fretboard with the 'Starchild' inlays. It also now has blue LED's along the side of the neck.

It just needs a final bit of polishing, and re-assembling. I should get it back later in the week.