Why become a member? ×

Thumb Rest on Gibson SG re-issue Bass?

Oggy

Hi Chaps,

I hope this is the right area for this, let me know if it's not.

I have a short scale Gibson SG re-issue bass and a Fender Mustang short scale – lucky me I love them both.

I find that the Mustang gives me a fatter more rounded sound than I can get from the Gibson, I have my theory on this, and it goes like this:

The position of the single coil split pickup on the Mustang is roughly midway to where the neck and bridge pickups are placed on the SG. I use the top of the only pickup on the Mustang as a thumb rest and the top of the bridge pickup on the SG as a thumb rest. I think that if I had a thumb rest fitted to the SG bass – midway between the bridge and neck pickup I’d get a 'rounder' sound from the SG, as I get from the Mustang.

Does anyone know if at any time Gibson have fitted a thumb rest in this midway position? I think that it’d give me a more rounded tone; it does when I rest my thumb on the body of the bass in this position but I’m not a good enough player to play the bass like that and really need a thumb rest - I think :) .

I'd like to hear your thoughts on the above before I put a thumb rest on the SG.

Oggy :)