Why become a member? ×

1968/1974 Jaco Jazz Bass Custom Price drop with pictures!!!

Jebo1

Hi all,

This is my pride and joy but an arse clenchingly large tax bill and the impending, looming spectre of being jobless means I am considering shifting it.

The bass is a 'frankenbass' and started off as a few models. Details of the parts are here:

Body: 68 jazz, ligt as a feather, original sunburst and seriously worn. This was owned by Fender expert Barry Matthews, I bought it from him years ago with a 65 neck, some old pickups and a few odd bits on it. The bass was played by John Entwistle in the past, but I don't expect this to add to the value - I reckon most olf Fenders were! The body has been routed for a battery cavity at the back - there is no other routing, as you can see!

Necl: This was a 74 neck from a bass owned by the legendary session bassist Dave Markee. He has the Fender 'skunk stripe' removed and the ebony board added. This bass was giged with Frank Zappa and a few other legends. It's an amazingly thin and precise neck. [url="http://www.crossrhythms.co.uk/articles/music/Dave_Markee_The_veteran_rock_man/40731/p1/"]Dave Markee[/url]

Bridge and Neck Plate - original 74

Pickups - Wizard vintage (sound amazing)

Tuners - Original 74

Tone and volume pots - new replacements.

All in all, this guitar means a lot to me. I wanted a Jaco signature but I wanted a vintage one, so I bought the parts and built it.

It plays amazingly, is the only one of its kind and it breaks my heart to think of her going - but I've got my 66 candy apple red Fender, and that's the only one I actually play to be honest. I've had the guitar in literally hundreds of permutations over the years (scrathcplate on, off, with a skunk neck, a 65 neck a modern Geddy Lee neck blah blah) and in this incarnation is perfect.

I don't have tons of pictures but could take some if anyone's interested.

Not sure of value, in parts it has to be about £1600, or I could be mistaken. I'd take this for it, but I'm not interested in any trades or anything.

Let me know if anyone is interested!

Edited by Jebo1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...