Why become a member? ×

Rack mounted Audio interface

Bobo_Grimmer

Hey everyone,
I'm looking at getting a new, at least 16ch, rack mounted firewire audio interface. I need it to record the band and jams i may have at home with friends. My set up at the moment is a 16ch Analog desk that all the mic's and d.i's go into and then all the out from that go into my audio interface through firewire to my pc. I end up with a multi-track recording that i can then fiddle with and produce our albums, jams and general messin' about. :lol:

I have a little bit of money to spend and more in the new year. Anything that's £500 or less and capable of at least 48/24 would be awesome.

I'd be really interested in what interfaces you guys might think would be a good option for my recording needs and also what interfaces you might use or have used or would like to use. :)

I've been looking around at a few and have some ideas but i thought i'd wing a thread up on here to see what you guys think might be a good interface to get. :)

thanks,
Shawn

Ok so you basically want 16 analogue line inputs so you can plug your mixer straight into there and out into your PC? I can't say I've really seen much in the way of a rack mounted unit that will do that. They're mostly either digital inputs or mic preamp inputs. Unfortunately you might have to get rid of your current mixer and replace it with a 16 mic firewire mixer like this one:

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/phonic_phhb24_fw_mk_ii_helix_board.htm"]
<a href="http://www.thomann.de/gb/phonic_phhb24_fw_mk_ii_helix_board.htm" target="_blank">http://www.thomann.de/gb/phonic_phhb24_fw_...helix_board.htm[/url]</a>

Bit more than your budget i know.

Really, if you want a rack mounted interface comprising of 16 line in/outs and little else then you would probably need to look at going down the PCI route. That's what i had to do. You still have a breakout box with all the inputs and outputs on it so that's not a problem. The only difference is that you would have to install a card into your PCs motherboard, it's a very easy job to do though. It depends really on how bothered you are about the warranty of your PC? You might be able to get 2 M-audio delta 1010s running side by side in budget if you went used which would give you 16 ins and outs at 96/24 conversion quality.

Edited by EdwardHimself