Why become a member? ×

a technical question

jonunders

i have noticed while at band practice that after about 45 mins my strings when played seem to twang. is this as a result of my playing technique, i.e am i to heavy handed with my right hand, or not fretting the string properly, may be i'm suffering finger fatigue. could the action be wrong or the strings need changing
(they are around 3 months old, elixir strings)
any thoughts or comments welcome

Twang? Do you perhaps mean fret buzz - a buzzing sound that is probably most noticeable when the string is first plucked?

If it is fret buzz and it only appears after 45 minutes then it is probably down to technique. Does it go away if you focus more on what your left and right hands are doing?

The alternative is that the neck on your bass may be shifting slightly due to changes in temperature. Do you rehearse somewhere particularly hot or cold?

[quote name='Musky' post='1022180' date='Nov 13 2010, 09:03 AM']Twang? Do you perhaps mean fret buzz - a buzzing sound that is probably most noticeable when the string is first plucked?

If it is fret buzz and it only appears after 45 minutes then it is probably down to technique. Does it go away if you focus more on what your left and right hands are doing?

The alternative is that the neck on your bass may be shifting slightly due to changes in temperature. Do you rehearse somewhere particularly hot or cold?[/quote]

we rehearse in a hall so there may be some temperature changes, there is some improvement if i concentrate

[quote name='jonunders' post='1022183' date='Nov 13 2010, 09:05 AM']we rehearse in a hall so there may be some temperature changes, there is some improvement if i concentrate[/quote]
I'd really expect the buzz to disappear altogether when you concentrate on your fingering. It doesn't require that much pressure on the string to fret it properly, and once your attention has been brought to the problem I'd have thought it should go away. If this doesn't also happen when you practice for more than 45 minutes at home perhaps the issue is being exacerbated by a more exuberant right hand technique in a band situation.

Is this happening all over the neck? It could be that the bass is in need of a set up or that just the strings need raising slightly. If the set up is adjusted for a low action only just on the right side of fret buzz, when you tire it might be that the problem arises. The same applies if the neck is shifting slightly.

If this doesn't happen at home I'd start by raising the strings slightly. If it turns out to be purely down to technique it's easy enough to lower them again. :)

[quote name='Musky' post='1022191' date='Nov 13 2010, 09:26 AM']I'd really expect the buzz to disappear altogether when you concentrate on your fingering. It doesn't require that much pressure on the string to fret it properly, and once your attention has been brought to the problem I'd have thought it should go away. If this doesn't also happen when you practice for more than 45 minutes at home perhaps the issue is being exacerbated by a more exuberant right hand technique in a band situation.

Is this happening all over the neck? It could be that the bass is in need of a set up or that just the strings need raising slightly. If the set up is adjusted for a low action only just on the right side of fret buzz, when you tire it might be that the problem arises. The same applies if the neck is shifting slightly.

If this doesn't happen at home I'd start by raising the strings slightly. If it turns out to be purely down to technique it's easy enough to lower them again. :)[/quote]

thanks for you help