Why become a member? ×

Schecter Studio 6

Dread Bass

I have decided to do this review as i think schecters are very underestimated basses.

Features: 8

It was made around 1997 and i am the second owner. Its a neck through bass with a five piece maple and walnut neck. The body is mahogany with a very thin bubinga top. electronics wise it has 2 EMG HZ humbuckers and a three band eq with cut and boost and EMG preamp. It is finished in a honey stain. It has a 35 inch scale and the string spacing at the bridge is 16mm. I think this is a great spec for the money but i gaveit an 8 because of the HZs and the finish but more on that in a bit.

Sound 8

I play mostly metal and i drop tune to ACGCFA# low to high. The sound you get is really good it would suit jazz or maybe some rock better it dosnt work great for metal as the HZs dont cut through as much as id like. Its great for slap though. Im about to upgrade to EMG DCs. The eq is really good and you can dial in lots of different and useful tones the HZs are good but lack someting. The upper register on this bass sounds great really good for chords also sounds quite good for tapping.

Action, fit and Finish 7

The action is great you can dial in what ever your like i have mine pretty low and it is still buzz free. The bass is slightly neck heavy not to bad but it does take some adjusting too. Its pretty heavy but it is a 6 string. What i think really lets the bass down is the finish i dont like it and it has not been well applied makes the bass look cheap. It is a 97 tho so maybe they have fixed this.

Reliability 10

I have no worry with this thing i have had it for almost 2 years and i have used it in anger a few times with no problems. The components are all pretty high quality its a solid bass and i dont see anything going wrong I have never contacted Schecter so i have no idea what there custumer support is like.

Overall 8

I love this bass its really hard to find 6 string leftys i got this on ebay for £500 second hand and i use it all the time. I will be upgrading the pickups but the HZs are ok for most things. This bass is let down by the finish the bubinga top cant even be a mm thick and the finish is badly applied. Most of the other schecter models have a better finish so maybe this was a bad day. I would def recommend this bass its really very good for the price.

I added a pic from schecter so you can see what im talking about.

Any questions feel free to ask