Why become a member? ×

Double Bass Strings

trev1

Hello Double bassers, I,ve just bought a double bass to start learning Rockabilly Slap Bass, can any of you guys out there give me some ideas on string choice, I've bought a set of weedwackers from the U.S. to replace the metal strings, I've also been looking at the w.wacker pro's which sound good and there are also the innovation strings which are a touch expensive, so if anyone has any tips I'd be glad to here them.

Cheers Trev.

I'm far from an expert, but just to get the ball rolling... I've got a set of Slap Happy weedwackers but I've kept the steel E string on for now because I've heard the lower weedwackers are really dead sounding, which is true for the A when you play it normally (it sounds good slapping, though).

The advice I got from someone on here was to keep the weedwacker D and G strings as they're pretty good, but change the E and A. Obviously just buying 2 strings is going to be cheaper than a full set, and it means you shouldn't have to lower the action (assuming it's set high for weedwackers).

If you go for something like Innovation strings, though, they're higher tension than the weedwackers so they won't be a good match. The way to get round that, so I'm told, is to "bump" the lower strings, which means using an A string for your E and so on. That way the tension is lower and should match the 'wackers a lot better.

Another thing to think about as well as the tension is the gauge of the strings; the steel E I've got on now is much thinner than the weedwacker A which is a bit odd, and I think if you mix Silverslaps with weedwackers you might have a similar problem.

My plan is to get Innovation Psychoslap A and D strings for my E and A. That way the gauges go .095, .105, .115, .126, and hopefully the tension will be a good match aswell.

Hope this helps! And good luck with learning.

edit: I've FINALLY just ordered the 2 psychoslaps, £37 from www.stringmail.co.uk. I'll let you know what they're like when I get them. And here's my thread where I got the advice I gave you: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=104914"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=104914[/url]

Edited by JoshJ

+1 on all that.

The best whackers I've found are called Cordes Lamberts, made by a slapper in France. Search for them on myspace for info. Even the A is good. And they've just announced a new nylon wrapped E string, which I reckon will be pretty close to a bumped Psychoslap. Probably better.

I've found bumped Innovation Psychoslaps the best match for D and G whackers or plain gut strings.
It's not quite perfect, but tension, tone, slap sound and guage are pretty damn close.

Thanks for all the replies fellas, there certainly are lots of options and the bumped up strings look good, I did take a look at the hybrid on the net. with steel core & nylon outer has any body tried these and are they a higher tension with good tone.

Trev.

I have spent a fortune over the years trying various string combos but curently this is my fav

Weedwacker G D and then solo steels A E

Solos are designed to be tuned up a tone (F# and :) so when you tune them to concert E A they are very soft, nice to slap and sustain really nicely when playing pizz.